How Can I Make IP Adddress Assigned to Printer Static?
Evel1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wireless network setup with home laptop (with FiOS Internet Manager) installed to it is assigned ip address xxx.xxx.x.2 and home printer was assigned ip address xxx.xxx.x.3.  It is this name used on my home & work laptop "Remote HP xxx.xxx.x.3"  to add the printer for wireless print capability without the printer being physically attached to either printer via a USB cable.

I leave the printer on at all times & allow it to go into sleep mode & I leave the home laptop on but  logged off, to allow it to go into sleep mode.

However, I notice that when I fire up my work laptop, instead of being assigned ip address xxx.xxx.x.4 on the network, it takes on xxx.xxx.x.3 (previoulsy assigned to printer).  So when I try to printer wireless from the work laptop, I get an error message because its like trying to print from the laptop to the laptop vs the printer. Because the laptops were setup to show the printer as xxx.xxx.x.3.

Is there a way to make the ip address originally asisgned to the printer xxx.xxx.x.3 static so that another wireless wifi device I connect to the router does not take the 3rd position on the network?  When I contacted Verizion Tech Support - Chat, they said I should contact the HP the printer mfr or Verizon's Premium Tech Support, who charges a fee to proivde this sort of help.

Is this something I can do myself or do I really need to contact HP for assistance?

Re: How Can I Make IP Adddress Assigned to Printer Static?
mallwalker
Enthusiast - Level 2

Assuming you are using the Actiontec router.

Click Advanced, Yes

Click IP Address Distribution

Click  Connection List

Click new Static  Connection

Fill in desired name (ex:MyHP1234)

Fill in IP address you want to reserve/assign for this device

Fill in the MAC of the device.

Click Apply on each screen as needed.

note: no device should be using the ip address of the one you are reserving at the time you are doing thisexample, your notebook is ON, and using the IP that you want to reserve fpr the printer.