I think I know the answer but just to be sure - connecting a data cable & the ONT box....
bclasen1

So I have an ONT box with Coax out - it provides TV, phone & data. I have a PC I'd like to connect, unfortunately it isn't wireless & even if it were, it is too far from the router to pick up wireless. However it is close to the ONT box so running a cable from there would be ideal. However my understanding is if you are wired with Coax, the ethernet port in the box is disabled. 

So is my only option running physical cable from my router to this PC? It is a very long run and it wouldn't be easy. Any other suggestions or is the only way?

Thanks,

BC

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I think I know the answer but just to be sure - connecting a data cable & the ONT box....
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@bclasen wrote:

my understanding is if you are wired with Coax, the ethernet port in the box is disabled. 

That is correct.

Since you have coax at the ONT, your main splitter is probably close by.

You could connect a MOCA adapter to your main splitter.

That would give you an ethernet port you could connect to.

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

View solution in original post

Re: I think I know the answer but just to be sure - connecting a data cable & the ONT box....
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@bclasen wrote:

my understanding is if you are wired with Coax, the ethernet port in the box is disabled. 

That is correct.

Since you have coax at the ONT, your main splitter is probably close by.

You could connect a MOCA adapter to your main splitter.

That would give you an ethernet port you could connect to.

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

bclasen1

Thanks - that's perfect!

0 Likes