Re: I want to use own router and keep TV Guide and tried everything
MrAchilles
Enthusiast - Level 3

No I see the picture perfectly already. Alright I'll take the jump and purchase the ECB5240M, believe I can do it right through Verizon. Looks like it is pretty much plug and play or is there some configurating to go through?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No configuration required. When you plug it into your router give it a few minutes in case it has to do any updates  then connect coax and reboot  your STBs. Then you should be all set.

MrAchilles
Enthusiast - Level 3

So power and ethernet first, leave it for 5mins and then hook up the ONT coax. I'll turn the STB on after a minute or so and fingers crossed it should work. 

Put in my order so hopefully it arrives soon. I'll update you once it's here and I've given everything a go. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds good. I'm not sure if it will actually do any updates. But sometimes when you first connect Verizon equipment it starts upgrading itself. This way your not in the middle of setting everything up and the it reboots on you. 

MrAchilles
Enthusiast - Level 3

MoCA Adapter arrived today and it's all set up. I left it connected to just power and ethernet for a while and my router detected it without a problem. I hooked up the coax and instantly the green lights of the ethernet started flashing which told me there was some sort of data transfer happening. 

The STB popped up under my network transfer and there was a mixture of upload/download going on. STB said it was online under the System Info. so hopefully this is sorted. This was without a reboot.

Oddly enough, the MoCA Adapter shows up as a standalone device on the router, I'm guessing this is normal? It didn't show any data transfer activity since it was simply passing the ethernet directly the the MoCA network. 

I've since rebooted the STB and right now it is online and the coax/ethernet lights are flashing so I know SOMETHING is happening. 

One thing I noticed was that the MoCA Adapter did turn off a few times, like, the power light went out completely. I unplugged/replugged and now it seems to be fine but it was something I noticed. 

My TV Guide days updated from 1 day to 4 so know it's good. Now I just need to figure out where I can hide the MoCA adapter because the coax cable is causing it to tilt on my desk lol.

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MrAchilles wrote:

. . . 

Oddly enough, the MoCA Adapter shows up as a standalone device on the router, I'm guessing this is normal? It didn't show any data transfer activity since it was simply passing the ethernet directly the the MoCA network. 

That actually is normal behavior. If you look on the device, there is probably a MAC address listed somewhere, which makes it appear as a network device. I have a pair of ActionTec ECB6200s I use to get Ethernet to a Roku box on the other side of my house (using coax in between). They both show up as network devices.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Great! I'm glad to hear everything is finally working. The FNA and any other MOCA devices do get an IP address from the router so yes you should see it on your router as a connected device. 

MrAchilles
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well it's been several days and so far it is working without any hassle. The TV STB is still reportedly online and the TV Guide is updated to 7+ days now. The MoCA Adapter hasn't shut off at all and I can still a fairly consistent data transfer between the STB and the router. 

Thank you so much for your help, I don't think I would have resolved it without you. I consider myself fairly tech savvy but before this I honestly had no clue about MoCA networks so I definitely learned something new. 

For anyone needing help in the future regarding this issue:

User Edg1 definitely provided the working fix for me however I'm worried the lengthy posts from me may hide or complicate matters. For anyone who is looking for the quick answer:

1. Edg1 recommend the ECB5240M MoCA Adapter. I bought this directly through Verizon for $60 (w/ shipping etc) and it arrived in 1-2 days. 

2. I completely removed the G1100 router from my setup and connected the ECB5240M adapter to a power source.

3. Run an ethernet cable from a LAN port in your own router to any of the four LAN ports on the ECB5240M adapter. 

4. Leave it for several minutes (I did five be to sure) and then connect the ONT Coax to the adapter. 

5. The STB may come online automatically but I recommend rebooting just to be safe. 

6. At this point, the STB should be successfully online and in working order. TV Guide fully functional and all internet coming to and from your router. 

Metwotoo1

Did this setup also keep Remote DVR working?

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes