Re: IPv6 causing 0Mpbs upload speed
stoggy1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why would the adaptors need to be replaced the only error is with verizon equipment? 

Router 1 worked great until all the streaming devices started to error "connected but no or slow internet to them"
Router 2 worked partially "dead 5 ghz channel and upload speed from PC 15 to 30 mbps
Router 3 works great for everything but main PC. Upload is reading 0

The more I connect my PC to different verizon G3100 routers the problem gets worse and the techs are clueless and have no clue what to do.

1. PC connected to the WAN works fine. 
2. PC connected to LAN 0 upload speed. 
3. PC over WIFI 0 upload speed.
4. PC over WIFI on Laptop's hotspot while plugged into the LAN works fine
5. Laptop over WIFI fine
6. Laptop over LAN and WAN fine.
7. Phone over WIFI tests fine.

Tried changing the drivers from Asus but windows will not take them or I'm doing it wrong.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gillette wrote:

This is a shared issue with poor communication from Verizon.  They pushed this out and the average person would have no idea why their internet speed went to zero. 

Intel released their technical advisory about this IPv6 checksum issue 5 years ago. Do you think it is reasonable for end users who have Intel NICs to know it by now? Technically, from a utilitarian perspective, not only should Intel distribute that advisory on every individual NIC card they sell, Intel should require all networking equipment and motherboard vendors to distribute similar notices as long as the affected Intel NICs are used.

@gillette wrote:

It doesn't matter what the issue is, it matters how it was caused - the IPv6 rollout. 

You are heading to a logical fallacy if you say this, namely post hoc ergo propter hoc. Just because users encounter problems after the IPv6 rollout, it does not mean the IPv6 rollout caused the problems.

Taco77

same!  turn off ipv6 and all works well again

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Taco77 wrote:

same!  turn off ipv6 and all works well again

This is the wrong approach. To resolve a fire alarm is not to rip the alarm off the wall/ceiling.

TheTimeIsChow

So if I may ask - what would be the solution then?

0 Likes
TheTimeIsChow

It did. This drove me bananas. 

I tested and troubleshooted in every way possible.  It took me all night trying to figure out what was going on because everything else besides my gaming PC seemed to work properly. 

That said - My upload speeds across the board are still pretty bad. What used to be 500+ on gigabit is now <120 despite disabling IPv6. Much better than the 0.1 that it was before though. 

It's very irritating to be honest. I wish Verizon would have sent out a notice ahead of time letting people know the problem might arise. 

0 Likes
BigDaveFromJers
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can’t blame Verizon as this falls squarely in Intel’s lap. A known issue with a work around 5 years old and nothing else from them. And they’re still selling computers with the problem nic’s installed. 

AsusMiller
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well said. I agree with you completely. The folks on this forum are intelligent enough to A. recognize there's an issue, and B. proactively seek it out without having to sit on the phone with "tech support" from Verizon for hours with no success. I had the same issue, upgraded to a G3100 last week and all of a sudden my upload speed went to crap. Wireless was fine which told me it was most likely with the LAN. A quick search revealed multiple threads like this one. Disabled IPv6 Checksum for TCP and all was well EXCEPT for terrible YouTube. Disabled UDP checksum as well, now we're all better.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@AsusMiller wrote:

Disabled IPv6 Checksum for TCP and all was well EXCEPT for terrible YouTube. Disabled UDP checksum as well, now we're all better.

Just to add onto your solution. YouTube was still broken, because Google uses the QUIC Protocol to deliver data from YouTube and other Google services. QUIC relies on UDP rather than TCP. So  it's important to disable IPv6 Checksum offload on both TCP and UDP 🙂

BobBloomGeek
Enthusiast - Level 1

For a month and a half I chased this.  To add to the discussion, I found a easy way to discover the problem - run a Google (M-Lab) speed test.  Uploads are 1% (!) of the download speed.  Third party speed tests show full speed down and uploads.  Fully reproducible.

Disabled IPV6 and instant gratification.  M-Lab now shows equivalent results.  Until something else breaks, that's how it will stay.  (Sorry Win7's Homegroups, you're EOL anyway.)

Adaminion (https://forums.verizon.com/t5/fios-internet/a-few-websites-not-working-with-lan/td-p/921287) has it right ... it's Verizon's, Intel's, Microsoft's, and Google's fault.

I'm *** happy I found this discussion.

-bb

0 Likes