In home agent problem and IP address pool at wrong location?
rupok93
Enthusiast - Level 3

For some reason my ip address has suddenly changed today, I know it is supposed to change because of dhcp but it has never changed for me before. Now when I go to speedtest I get the wrong location, i live in NJ but now i get like in the middle of the US.

I don't know if that has  any relation the the next problem but I installed in home agent today because of windows 7 reinstall but when i start it up and it tries to get user info it tells me i am not a fios customer. I wanted to optimize my internet because normally my upload speeds are lower than when i optimize it using in home agent. Whats happening? What does the in home agent do exactly to "optimize" the internet connection?

0 Likes
Re: In home agent problem and IP address pool at wrong location?
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Verizon may have acquired a new IP address and allocated this IP range to your location.  Additionally the IP address must have previously been from the middle of the US.  If you keep this address eventually it will change to the proper location.  I

rupok93
Enthusiast - Level 3

What do you think is the problem with the inhome agent though?

0 Likes
irbrenda
Contributor - Level 1

Well, so am I.  I am in Staten Island, NY and my IP address is near Wichita, Kansas.  I wonder if that's what's wrong with my speeds these past few days.  My d/l's are horrendous.  I'm calling FIOS now.

0 Likes
irbrenda
Contributor - Level 1

What IP address pool were you in before the change?  I'm in 108.X.X.X now which is near Kansas.  I'm on with FIOS tech support right now.  He said he has no clue why I should be in central US but he ran a traceroute and said it is definitely wrong.

0 Likes
rupok93
Enthusiast - Level 3

ya i am in the 108.x.x.x. pool too near kansas. I used to be in the 121 range or something near NY and NJ where I am actually located

0 Likes
irbrenda
Contributor - Level 1

They have opened a trouble ticket for me.  Spent over 2 hours online with tech supports.  Rebooted everything.  They tried to change my IP pool but they couldn't.  They are calling me back tomorrow and leaving the ticket open.  However, since I am having download only issues, they are sending me another router.  If that doesn't fix the speed issues, which I doubt, they have to send a network tech out and start troubleshooting.  That does not help with why they changed my IP pool.

Just a note:  I had this same issue with my business DSL.  They switched me from the usual 70.x.x.x and 71.x.x.x pool to the 108 pool in Wichita, KS and I experienced the worst download speeds and then spent another week without service at all.They could not explain why or how I was in Kansas!   The problem then stemmed from their central office where they changed dslam equipment.  That fixed my problems but I changed to FIOS and here I am with the same Kansas issue!  Go figure.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@rupok93 wrote:

I don't know if that has  any relation the the next problem but I installed in home agent today because of windows 7 reinstall but when i start it up and it tries to get user info it tells me i am not a fios customer. I wanted to optimize my internet because normally my upload speeds are lower than when i optimize it using in home agent. Whats happening?

I was browsing the net, and I came across something very interesting that should help tell you why that is happening.

I point to http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25023383-

--

As how to get it fixed:

#1 Do not contact flowjamaica as the poster in that post directs the user to do.

#2 You can fix it, using option/method 2 or 3 that is directed in that post.

^^

0 Likes