Re: Intermittent DSL drops/speed drops -- Mechanicsville VA 23111
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

secdroid: With margins like that along with attenuation you really have no choice I'm afraid but to drop the speed. You're at 3360/864 but the modem can't get to that speed. Drop to 2528/640 and you'll still maintain something higher than 1.5Mbps but it should also improve the stability enough. From there if your modem is on FastPath, drop to Interleaved if you don't play video games and that will further help with stability. You may still get an occasional drop BUT it will be far less frequent.

secdroid
Enthusiast - Level 3

Smith6612 -- What you say corresponds to what the Vz tech said when he did the housecall.  He said that my line was "optimized" and that the network engineer told him that he couldn't increase my speed because that would preclude setting it back to optimized.  He also said that low noise margins (<10) were bad for reliability.  Suggested solution was to ask the Business Office to drop my speed, in the event of continued stability issues.

I am getting conflicting advice from another Vz person who is handling my issue.  Got a call from Vz this morning and here's what I learned -- 

• There is an automatic optimization protocol running against my line.  That is why the speed has been increasing and the noise margin has been decreasing
  • I was told that as long as I din't experience "sync loss" (DSL DOWN/UP?) the noise margin shouldn't be an issue
  • My antique Westell Versalink 327W (assembled 05/2005) might be an issue.  Four newer routers have been shipped since then.  I didn't ask, nor was I told, whether a firmware update would help.
  • Vz was going to close my ticket and I have 30 days to request that it be reopened

The Vz person who has been phoning me about the issue has been professional and helpful, but he doesn't seem to be perfectly in sync with the actual tech and engineers.

My data path is currently set to interleaved.  I don't game.

Current stats --

Transceiver Revision: 1.0.9.0
Vendor ID Code: 4
Line Mode: G.DMT Mode
Data Path: Interleaved
Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 736
Margin (dB) 6.5 10.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 56.5 31.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 16.8 11.0

I was going to close this thread as solved, but I now am unsure.  If my line is automatically being optimized and the the Vz business office is offering a choice of either 1.5 or 3.0, I'm not sure how to follow your suggestion to drop to "2528/640".  

I'll leave the thread open for a while longer to see whether there are any more issues or whether there are any more suggestions.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@secdroid wrote:

@Smith6612

I am getting conflicting advice from another Vz person who is handling my issue.  Got a call from Vz this morning and here's what I learned -- 

• There is an automatic optimization protocol running against my line.  That is why the speed has been increasing and the noise margin has been decreasing
  • I was told that as long as I din't experience "sync loss" (DSL DOWN/UP?) the noise margin shouldn't be an issue
  • My antique Westell Versalink 327W (assembled 05/2005) might be an issue.  Four newer routers have been shipped since then.  I didn't ask, nor was I told, whether a firmware update would help.
  • Vz was going to close my ticket and I have 30 days to request that it be reopened

The Vz person who has been phoning me about the issue has been professional and helpful, but he doesn't seem to be perfectly in sync with the actual tech and engineers.

Thanks. As mentioned, the optimization system (ASSIA) is in fact running. With stats like that you will see the program will bounce you down to 1.5Mbps/384kbps again and then settle down. 2112, 2528, 2992 downstream and 448, 640 upstream are the available speeds that the Optimization can pick from between your current speed and the 1.5Mbps profile.

They are correct though. If you are not seeing sync issues, AND you are not receiving enough CRC errors to damage ATM cells, ultimately resulting in data loss and stalls (Something routinely overlooked when dealing with these sort of issues) then you are fine with those stats. My line for example runs with a downstream noise margin of 7, upstream margin of 9 and it is rock solid. 5Mbps across 2 miles of copper. That's also because I don't have an issue with noise causing CRC Errors.

FYI: CRC = Uncorrected errors. FEC = Correctables.

The 327w units I find tend to be rock solid, so when it croaks it will croak slowly. The westell 7500 I find tends to hold out well too with some marginal lines so you can ask Verizon for one of those. Otherwise, you'll get a D-Link which I haven't tested myself, yet.

Anyways, here's what you'll want to do if you're seeing drops (Pay attention to your speed, especially upstream. If it changes, you're dropping) or if your transfers are stalling or hanging routinely. Before Verizon closes your ticket, contact them and have someone who has the capability to adjust your profile change the speed on your line card itself rather than through the computerized provisioning system. It's highly unsupported from a support standpoint as it causes automated line tests to fail and complain, and the router would have to hold a 3Mbps QoS profile on Verizon's end but it can be done. The automatic optimization system can be disabled. It's disabled on my line for example, because I have 5Mbps + FastPath on gear that is not qualified for 5Mbps service (3M Max) which is set directly in the line card. The router also has a manual profile set for me to get the 5M on Verizon's end since the backend database will also not allow anything higher than 3M and thus, won't provision 5M. Everything was done manually within a few minutes while on the phone.

secdroid
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, Smith 6612.  That was very helpful.

It is looking like you and the Vz telephone support agent were correct.  Current stats are good --

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 736
Margin (dB) 6.5 10.0

Connection is rock solid.  No errors.

Speculation: I wonder if the two DSL drops I saw were a result of ASSIA reconfiguring my connection.  Drop 1 was 17 seconds and increased my speed from 2528 to 2944.  Drop 2 was a day later, 23 seconds in duration, and increased my speed from to 3360.  No drops since then and the speed has been stable.  DS NM does vary, but that variation isn't logged.

So, it would appear that ASSIA was trying to push my line speed too high with the bridge tap in place.  Now that the tap is gone, things are working much better.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome. Let us know if it does start to give you some issues.

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

secdroid,

Good Evening. Last we had heard was that our DSL escalation partners have contacted you and was able to confirm the issue was resolved. It was our pleasure to help. Please make a post anytime you need assistance.

0 Likes