Moving Router to an Unactive Coaxial Port
drbozai
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey Guys:

I have verizon fios triple play, along with dish network (stuck with their contract).  I use Dish for tv, and Verizon for phone and internet.  The dish guy was forced to move my router to the basement since their were no other active coax ports (thaqt weren't to be used for dish).  My internet is EXTREMELY SLOW from the router in the basement.  Is their a way i can  activate the port in living room , without dishing out extra money ?

Any help would be appreciated!!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Moving Router
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@drbozai wrote:

Did we not already establish that these cables are currently used for the Dish install?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The dish tech actually ran new coax wires from the sattelite dish into the dish splitter so I'm not sure where they really went ...

Well then how did he get the coax to your family room and your bedroom?.  Are you saying he ran new coax to each location?  I doubt this is the case.

@drbozai wrote:
... the living room port was never used for something, as far as I've lived here ...

Which convinces me that it is "junk" cable (as does the photo you supplied), and it should not be considered any further.

@drbozai wrote:

How would I go about running the wire from the basement to the 2nd floor? Without it being in the way all the time? ...

Try typing "home coax wiring" into Google and see what happens.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Moving Router - Specific Network Details Required
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@drbozai wrote:

I have verizon fios triple play, along with dish network ... I use Dish for tv, and Verizon for phone and internet ...

I take it you have TV service from Dish.  I also take it you have TV/phone/Internet from Verizon (FiOS Triple Play), but that you do not use the FiOS TV service.  Are you actually paying for a Verizon TV tier with the bundle and then just not using it?  If so, why?

@drbozai wrote:

... The dish guy was forced to move my router to the basement since their were no other active coax ports (that weren't to be used for dish).  My internet is EXTREMELY SLOW from the router in the basement ...

It sounds as though the Dish TV service was installed after the Verizon service (i.e., the VZ router was already in place).  Is this the case?  If so, why did the Dish install tech not run new coax to the room where he needed a connection and leave the existing network alone?  Is this what actually happened?  Sounds very unorthodox to me.

@drbozai wrote:

Is their a way i can  activate the port in living room , without dishing out extra money? ...

I don't know, since you have given no indication of the what "the port in living room" actually is, how it's connected, where it's connected, if it's part of Dish, if it's part of FiOS, etc.  Any comment made with this kind of information is pure speculation and essentially worthless.

A short answer is that your FiOS router must be connected to your FiOS ONT using coax cable (typical install).  Therefore you need to run coax between both devices.  However we have no idea how or where your current equipment is situated.

Start by telling us how the various components are wired in your home network(s).  Give a clear and concise diagram of some sort so that folks here can get an idea of where the various coax cables and other wires in the network are located, how both services are used, how the Dish cables enter the home and where they go, how the FiOS cables enter the home and where they go, the location of the FiOS ONT, how the FiOS phone is set up, etc.  Then some of the network savvy folks here may be able to offer useful suggestions.  Good luck.

Re: Moving Router - Specific Network Details Required
drbozai
Enthusiast - Level 2

The family room is where I orignally had my fios router, and fios STB setup.  I used fios tv until I was able to get the dish installed.  The dish technician said that he couldn't split cable/sattelite so he had to move my fios router to some other fios active coax port in the house.  So now the only coax port in the family room is taken by the dish cables, running to the outside of the house.  Now there is one coax port in the living room, and thats where we planned to move the router, but the dish technician later said the port wasn't active ..so we had to use another coax port.  I also had a dish receiver setup in the master bedroom. so I couldn't put the router there either.  My only other option was an active fios port in the basement, therefore making my internet really slow since all my devices are on the main level.

0 Likes
Re: Moving Router - MORE Network Details Required
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@drbozai wrote:

The family room is where I orignally had my fios router, and fios STB setup ... The dish technician said that he couldn't split cable/sattelite so he had to move my fios router to some other fios active coax port in the house.  So now the only coax port in the family room is taken by the dish cables, running to the outside of the house ...

Still doing dental work here (a.k.a. "pulling teeth) to get details on your layout.  It seems that the coax from your Dish install runs outside.  I will assume that's true for all the other coax including any FiOS connections.  I will also assume the FiOS ONT is outside.  Of course if these assumptions are incorrect, nothing I write here will be of use.

@drbozai wrote:

... there is one coax port in the living room, and thats where we planned to move the router, but the dish technician later said the port wasn't active ...

As above, I assume this runs to the outside of the dwelling.  What you must do is locate this coax and connect it to the FiOS ONT, presumably at the splitter connected to the coax that itself runs from the ONT.  In that way you will have enabled the living room coax and will be able to attach the router there.  Mind you, if I've guessed wrong (and that's a distinct possibility), then this may not solve your issue.

I suppose guessing is an occupational hazard from time to time.

0 Likes
Re: Moving Router - MORE Network Details Required
drbozai
Enthusiast - Level 2

@armond_in_nj wrote:

@drbozai wrote:

The family room is where I orignally had my fios router, and fios STB setup ... The dish technician said that he couldn't split cable/sattelite so he had to move my fios router to some other fios active coax port in the house.  So now the only coax port in the family room is taken by the dish cables, running to the outside of the house ...

Still doing dental work here (a.k.a. "pulling teeth) to get details on your layout.  It seems that the coax from your Dish install runs outside.  I will assume that's true for all the other coax including any FiOS connections.  I will also assume the FiOS ONT is outside.  Of course if these assumptions are incorrect, nothing I write here will be of use.

@drbozai wrote:

... there is one coax port in the living room, and thats where we planned to move the router, but the dish technician later said the port wasn't active ...

As above, I assume this runs to the outside of the dwelling.  What you must do is locate this coax and connect it to the FiOS ONT, presumably at the splitter connected to the coax that itself runs from the ONT.  In that way you will have enabled the living room coax and will be able to attach the router there.  Mind you, if I've guessed wrong (and that's a distinct possibility), then this may not solve your issue.

I suppose guessing is an occupational hazard from time to time.

You are doing great with the assumptions. Smiley Tongue  However, how can I know which cable it is that belongs to the living room outlet? I called verizon and as said before they do charge..I consider my self tech savvy however I like taking precautions to prevent further damage.

0 Likes
Re: Moving Router - Getting Closer?
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@drbozai wrote:
You are doing great with the assumptions ....

This is not something I want to get good at, but thanks for the encouragement.

@drbozai wrote:

...  how can I know which cable it is that belongs to the living room outlet? ... I like taking precautions to prevent further damage ...

Actually you cannot really damage anything by trying any available coax until you find the right one.  Connect the FiOS router to the living room coax, connect a wired computer to it, and try various coax cables at the splitter until you get an Internet connection.

Do the experiment and report back.  Good luck.

drbozai
Enthusiast - Level 2

Alright, here's how it is..getting there:

Ignoring what the labels are for this, there are two coax lines coming in from the top, then first 2 on the bottom going out

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@armond_in_nj wrote:

Actually you cannot really damage anything by trying any available coax until you find the right one.  Connect the FiOS router to the living room coax, connect a wired computer to it, and try various coax cables at the splitter until you get an Internet connection.

They only thing I'd be concerned about is the DC voltage driven by the satellite box to power the antenna.  I'd like to think that the FiOS router, ONT and STBs have DC blocking circuits, but you never know...

Another issue is MoCA and satellite TV do not really get along well.  Both use very similar frequencies on the coax and can interfere (but not damage) each other.

I haven't followed all the twists and turns of the descriptions and assumptions about how this particular home is wired, so this may be a moot point.  However, the bottom line is the coax from the satellite antenna to the satellite receiver should not be connected to any FiOS equipment.

Good Luck

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@gs0b wrote:

@armond_in_nj wrote:

... you cannot really damage anything by trying any available [emphasis added] coax until you find the right one ...

They only thing I'd be concerned about is the DC voltage driven by the satellite box to power the antenna ... the bottom line is the coax from the satellite antenna to the satellite receiver should not be connected to any FiOS equipment ...

Good point.  From the OP's descriptions thus far, I assume that any live Dish coax is (somehow) connected to the Dish side, and that any "available" coax is currently connected to nothing.  Still guessing a bit, unfortunately, but caution is indeed advised.

Also still not sure how (or why) the Dish install tech just comes on the scene and starts moving FiOS gear around.  Definitely not good practice.

0 Likes
drbozai
Enthusiast - Level 2

Agreed.  He just said that was the only option.  So which cables do I switch around?

0 Likes