Neighbor stealing Fios internet
Cyclonus

About 5 years ago i had direct tv and optimum cable. I canceled direct tv and went with youtube tv. I noticed at this point my internet connection kept buffering so i upgrades my speed. It was still buffering so i looked and an unauthorized user was on my wifi. I blocked them. Buffering still continued so i canceled optimum service and went to verizon 1 gig service. Three months later neighbor get fiber wire connected to his house. Once again i noticed unauthorized user is on network and i block them. I buy whole new router only to notice unauthorized user is on my network again. Now im on my third router with wpa 3 encryption. I sont notice a unauthorized user but whenever i completely disconnect modem i notice my neighbors leave. Maybe im being paranoid but im wondering id verizon can come and check the junction box in front of my house.

0 Likes
Re: Neighbor stealing Fios internet
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try downloading a password generator and use it to make Wi-Fi passwords that are extremely difficult to figure out. Also, if it hasn't been disabled, consider doing that to guest access.

Cyclonus

I have made super difficult passwords. I think the guy is accessing over the fiber line. I had all devices disconnected and the internet activity was extremely minimal. I only notice strange activity from my neighbors when I disconnect the modem. The neighbor works in IT and im betting he has a server in house. I guess im going to have to call verizon to get this resolved. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking mostly to other users here.

Let me be very clear: Nobody is taping the fiber to gain access to your network.  It is technically impossible.

If you'd like to have the friendly users here try and help you, tell us a bit more about your situation.  How are you detecting unauthorized users?  When you say the neighbors leave, what does that mean (physically leave their home, disappear from your WiFi, ...)?  How many people and devices have you shared your WiFi password with?

Also know that Fios doesn't have modems.  It has ONTs, which perform similar functions as a cable modem but are very different technologies - thus they are not called modems.  When you disconnected the device you called a modem, was it the ONT or the router?

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why don't you port mirror the WAN port and see where's traffic is flowing?

This requires bunch of skills and knowledge.

Cyclonus

I see them physically leave their home. I will look up port mirroring. When i reboot router it says something about multicast. I dont know if that is normal or not.

0 Likes