Netgear WN2000RPT
thedudeinpa

I purchased this device yesterday and am having trouble connecting it to my wireless network.

The Netgear support hasn't been great.  Anyone out there purchase the same WN2000RPT WiFi Range Extender and get it set up successfully?  

It appears to connect, but everytime i enter a WEP key to connect to the Extender, i get an error stating that my Key is wrong - trust me, it is right.  

Any assistance would be great...

txs.

thedude.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Netgear WN2000RPT
surajit1
Enthusiast - Level 1

You might be entering the password key at the wrong box. In the setup screen (www.mywifiext.net) don't put it  at the top box (passphrase). Put it in the next one. I had the same problem.

Try calling the netgear support. They were quite helpful

malva1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok guys after 6 hours of fighting this issue of connecting my wn2000rpt to my verizon fios router I finally got it to work.

The issue is with the WEP option on the extender trying to assigns keys to go along with your passphrase.

This will not work as the verizon router assigns network keys itself.

Now the fix was simple, login to the Verizon router and change the security setting to WPA or WPA2. You can keep the same password if you like.

You may want to use an ethernet cord to connect directly to the router while you do this.

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSInternet/Networking/Setup/VzMI424/125052.htm

After you change it and are able to login then you can proceed with setting up the extender as you tried to do before.

I'm all connected and can finally use this thing as a media hub for internet access with the wired connections.

Hope this works for you.

thedudeinpa

thanks to both of you.  I didn't realize that i got a reply, as I thought this site would have sent me an email that there was a reply to my post 😞  anyway, i was frustrated without getting a solution, so i took the WN2000RPT box back to Best Buy.  So I presently still don't have a solution. after reading this though, i did convert my old Linksys router to an Extender but had the same issues as the WN2000RPT.  I will try these 2 suggestions and we'll see what happens.

.g.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@thedudeinpa wrote:

thanks to both of you.  I didn't realize that i got a reply, as I thought this site would have sent me an email that there was a reply to my post 😞  anyway, i was frustrated without getting a solution, so i took the WN2000RPT box back to Best Buy.  So I presently still don't have a solution. after reading this though, i did convert my old Linksys router to an Extender but had the same issues as the WN2000RPT.  I will try these 2 suggestions and we'll see what happens.

.g.

To get an email notification check the box on right under subscriptions

or if you forget to do that

select the options tab on your message and select the firts subscription

0 Likes
Enviroguy

I could use some help with this product -- I installed it a couple of days ago and can connect to it, but it I can't connect to the internet.   Netgear tech support has been difficult to reach.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Enviroguy wrote:

I installed it a couple of days ago and can connect to it, but it I can't connect to the internet.  

How far are you getting?

• When you say you can connect to it, do you mean wired or wireless?
  • Under the Setup heading, go to Connect to an Existing Network.  The WN2000RPT should scan for available networks.  Do you see the SSID of the Actiontec? 
  • Are you getting a good signal?
  • What color is the WLAN light on the Extender?
  • Select the Actiontec SSID from the list.
  • Unless you've changed the security settings on the Actiontec, select WEP in the security pull down, enter the serial number from the service tag on the Actiontec (it's case sensitive).  Note that default security on the Extender is none, while default security on the Actiontec is WEP.
  • On the Status screen, what does it show for Connection status to existing network?
  • Under Extender IP Info, does the Extender have an IP address?

mwe1

I have the Netgear 2500 and have had the same problem as discussed.  I have spent 30+ hours this week before getting connectivity.  Finally,  I put my network security key in the line for Passphrase.  I entered the same code in the box for Key1.  I did NOT hit the "generate" button but went on with the continue.  Completed the netgear genie and connected my laptop and cell phone.  It's been only about 30 minutes but both are working fine.  Testimony to that fact is that I am posting this msg while connected to the extender.

0 Likes