ONT Upgrade?
rickypicky51

I was a very early adopter of Fios internet and TV, therefore I have one of their oldest ONTs.  I currently have their 75/75 internet package and want to upgrade to at least 100/100.  In order to get higher speeds, I *think* I need to have my ONT replaced with a newer model ONT.  Plus, I also want to get rid of the 'battery backup' that I currently have that I believe is for my telephone landline?  It's all very confusing to me.

How should I proceed?  Should I simply call Verizon?  Will they know what ONT I have?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: ONT Upgrade?
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The slowest Internet speed offered by Verizon is, I believe, 200 down & up.

Verizon is replacing old ONTs with either an Alcatel-Lucent (Nokia) 211 or, in some areas, a similar looking Calix branded ONT.

Neither model comes with a battery backup unit. A better option would be to purchase a UPS to keep the entire system running during power failures.

Verizon would have a record of the current ONT at your location. If you can post a picture of the ONT, we could identify it. If it is in an enclosure, open the door and snap one or two. Note: submitted pictures go into queue for a Moderator to review before they will appear for all to see. 🙂

Also, Verizon has moved away from offering bundles for Fios subscribers. Now it is more of a pick from a group of Internet speeds. Also offered are digital voice telephone service and a selection of cable television packages.

I suspect that exploring the latest offerings could save on the monthly bill. Certain combinations of services may come with a discount.

My suggestion is to look over the latest offerings, select what works best for needs & budget then contact Verizon Sales to discuss any possible discounts and place the order. 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The slowest Internet speed offered by Verizon is, I believe, 200 down & up.

Verizon is replacing old ONTs with either an Alcatel-Lucent (Nokia) 211 or, in some areas, a similar looking Calix branded ONT.

Neither model comes with a battery backup unit. A better option would be to purchase a UPS to keep the entire system running during power failures.

Verizon would have a record of the current ONT at your location. If you can post a picture of the ONT, we could identify it. If it is in an enclosure, open the door and snap one or two. Note: submitted pictures go into queue for a Moderator to review before they will appear for all to see. 🙂

Also, Verizon has moved away from offering bundles for Fios subscribers. Now it is more of a pick from a group of Internet speeds. Also offered are digital voice telephone service and a selection of cable television packages.

I suspect that exploring the latest offerings could save on the monthly bill. Certain combinations of services may come with a discount.

My suggestion is to look over the latest offerings, select what works best for needs & budget then contact Verizon Sales to discuss any possible discounts and place the order. 🙂

0 Likes
rickypicky51

Thanks for your reply.  My ONT is the 611.  I called Verizon yesterday and upgraded to the 1 GBs plan.  They are coming to the house this Friday for the installation of the new ONT and a new router.  After a $100 one time fee, my monthly bill will be about $16 more per month.

0 Likes