Router Blocking Websites
Dinant
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Everyone,

Today I had a big problem with my router blocking the Bank of America website. No matter what I did, it just didn't open the webpage. Every other website would work. So after calling for an hour I finally figured out what was blocking my access to Bank of America.

When your unable to access a particular website on your home network. And you are able to access it on your celluar network. YOUR VPN SETTINGS ARE BLOCKING IT. 

My own internet securty on my desktop was blocking the webpage of Bank of America. This has to do with the VPN settings. (know for hiding IP adresses.)

Somehow my internet security had premmission to have control on my network. EVEN THE WIFI ON MY PHONE. 

*You are able to delete the vpn settings so you can access the webpage.

If you need any help just anwser here and I'm more than happy to assist you. I will save a few hours calling on the phone!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: URGENT----Router Blocking Websites
jonjones1
Legend

PNC Bank is not blocked as far as I can see.

https://www.pnc.com/en/personal-banking.html

I would first try via a cell phone and see if you can access the bank site.

i would say also try unplugging your router and let it boot back up. Or simply access your settings and refresh your dhcp on the router.

View solution in original post

Re: Router Blocking Websites
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't see how the router is blocking this if it was VPN settings on your PC.

Unless you have some sort of parental controls turned on router, it doesn't block websites.

Dinant
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well the thing is CRobGauth,

The VERY technical team of verizon tried to resolve the problem but where not able to do that. This because we all thought it had to do with the router. This because it had to do with the network in my house. When we tried to send pings out the the webpage we did not recieve anything back.

I found out later by myself that my pings I sended out didn't go directy to it's destination. Somehow it went first to the server of Kaspersky and to a proxyserver because of the settings of my hidden VPN software. 

So my goal with this form is to inform people that if they think it is the router blocking the webpage they also should consider checking there VPN settings of there internet security. This will save them sometimes a lot of frustating hours. 

I have no intention to disrespect the other forms nor the solutions experts like yourself gives us. 

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Another thing to try when trying to determine if it's them or you is the site isitup.org and downforeveryoneorjustme.com. For example, try https://isitup.org/check.php?domain=bankofamerica.com or http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/bankofamerica.com for the Bank of America domain. (There are probably about a dozen sites like this if you don't like those.)

BarbH2

I can't get to my online banking from my laptop or my cell phone when using WiFi. Interestingly, if I turn WiFI off on my cell phone, I can access my mobile online banking app.  What the heck is going on?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I assume you can get to other websites?

What message do you get on browser?

jonjones1
Legend

Most online banking and securities websites require a secure connection to be used.

they normally look like https:// 

and more times then not the web browser has a certificate showing it as allowed versus a denied request from your banks server. Many things can affect it.

sometimes clearing the cache, cookies, and web sites visited will fix the issue.

old information on your computer, phone or tablet would cause this issue.

0 Likes
ddurler

Could use some assist , can not log into or even pull up Bank Of America on any Computer In house while on my fios network, If i turn off my network and go off of 4g works fine. Looking for details on how to resolve, on phone with boa for 2 hrs no help.

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure if this helps, but I was able to log in from my desktop. I'm in northern Virginia, so our network paths differ, but I don't think the router would actively block any website (unless it had been explicitly added to the router block list). You would know if you did that. 

I would be more inclined to think maybe your external IP is blacklisted. (That's the one that Verizon gives you and for which, you have no choice.) Try the Blacklist Check to see if your current IP address is on the list. Don't get too concerned if the address is on a few lists as some of those lists are very aggressive. Even the source of the blacklist will say that. This is what I got:

Note there are some "bads" on that list even for me, but I was able to get in just fine. However, if you see a lot of red exclamation marks in other areas, that could be the issue. Unfortunately, if it is, there's little you or Verizon can do about it. Someone who had the IP address before you abused it in some way and got it blacklisted. You could call Verizon's customer service to see if they will try to get the address taken off the list, but I doubt they bother. Blacklisted IPs will generally migrate off the list after some time of not doing whatever caused them to get blacklisted in the first place.

If that is the issue rebooting your router might get you a different IP address. (Take note of your current one and compare.) The other option would be to use a VPN to access the BoA website. Tom's Guide and PC Mag both had recent articles on those. I would test this by downloading an trying TOR just to see if you can get to BoA. If that works, you could continue just using that, but I find it excruciatingly slow. Also, depending on what country your connection through TOR to BOA originates from, you might not be able to get in that way, either.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I use BoA all the time.
Was able to log in without an issue.

What error message are you getting?