Router Settings
dmwesq
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am trying to figure out how to remove the default network settings from my router. I created two new SSIDs with 2 new passwords, which I thought would overwrite the default settings. I also removed the old default names from my known networks in my system preferences on my Mac, but the networks still show in the available networks and I can still select them and enter the password and they connect.

Above are my known networks - Home 5 and Home 2.4 are the new ones I created.

And this shot shows the old networks of FIOS-GFEX1 and FIOS-GFEX1-5G still available.

0 Likes
Re: Router Settings
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you provide a shot of your router configs?

What model router do you have?

I don't beleive that router has the ability to have multiple SSIDs/channel other than guest.

0 Likes
dmwesq
Enthusiast - Level 3

Not sure what configs you are looking for or what that has to do with removing the default networks. I have the Quantum Gateway router

and the page from the manual shows the same as my settings in that it has both 2.4 and 5 GHz settings

0 Likes
dmwesq
Enthusiast - Level 3

So no one has an idea on how to fix this?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader
  1. The router supports a SSID for 2.4, 5.0  and guest.  There is no way it supports any additional.
  2. It is possible you are seeing someone else's network.  Don't select unless its the name you gave to your SSID.
  3. Your device or PC will remembered older SSID until you tell it to forget them, but it will not be able to connect to them. 
  4. I don't know about your router, but many have to reboot to change SSID. In which case the old SDID will continue to work and the new will not until the reboot.