Router passwords
wmseeley
Enthusiast - Level 1

How can I reset my route password if I've lost or forgotten it?  Can I login to the router (M1424WR Rev. E) directly with a laptop through a console port?

Also, are there any restrictions on the password contents?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Router passwords
marc3565
Enthusiast - Level 3

Most routers have a hole in the back that if you hold a pin or pen in that hole while turning the power on will do a factory reset.

This will reset your router to the factory id and password.

I think the defaults for both Actiontec and Westell are ID"admin" and PW "password" or "password1"

0 Likes
Re: Router passwords
PGJK
Enthusiast - Level 3

ActionTec MI424WR routers have a hole just below the WAN port (thats yellow colored RJ-45  ethernet connection) on the back, if you hold a small enough probe ie; pin, pen, paperclip in that hole for 10 seconds it will force a factory reset. This will reset the router to the factory defaults both id and password. This reset similarly entails any tweaking that was applied through the router's interface with respect to other settings as well (ie; if you turned off wireless setting ...well its back on by default)

2) Next turn off router to 'reboot it.

3) Next go to your web browser and enter 192.168.1.1 on the browser's address line

4) press  RETURN / ENTER  ...and the router's access page should appear you will also see ID 'admin' has already been entered for you.

The specific factory defaults for Actiontec for ID "admin" and "password" IS left completely blank, ie:no password

ActionTec's  DEFAULT is also that you 'MUST' enter this 'PASSWORD' in order to gain access to router which kind of makes it foolproof to reset the 'IDs & passwords' ...as a matter of fact you could never gain access to your ActionTec MI424WR router without adding one.

5) the router will then self-reboot and you'll return to the previous interface, however both boxes will be completely blank ...so be careful to remember what you enter because otherwise you have to do #1 thru #5 all over again (don't laugh I've actually had somebody who did this).

Also I know this is quite similar to the previous post but I've tailored & clarified it more towards your actual query. I don't proport any such knowledge of any other routers because I really don't know, however since I knew this answer by heart because I've done it many many times, I just though I'd make it perfectly clear.

0 Likes