SMTP server outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net
natefirethorn
Enthusiast - Level 2
Hi, all, Is anyone else having problems with outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net? My mailer has started giving me "server unavailable" messages this afternoon, and it was working fine and I haven't touched a thing. Other SMTP servers work fine from the same mailer. Thanks, - NF.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: SMTP server outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net
natefirethorn
Enthusiast - Level 2
Problem was resolved with the help of phone support. The account name on the SMTP server was changed from "my.name" to "my.name@verizon.net". Too bad the tech support only understands about "your Outlook" 😛 when I have happily used Thunderbird for years. - NF

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Donald_Linbin
Contributor - Level 1

did you put a check in the ssl box so it is using port 587?

0 Likes
natefirethorn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes. Verified that it's still there. Like I said, it was working this morning and stopped working tonight. Either the server is hosed or something's wrong with DNS from this end. To eliminate the latter possibility, here's the output of nslookup:

Server:  Wireless_Broadband_Router.home
Address:  192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    smtp.vzn.mail.fy4.b.yahoo.com
Address:  69.147.103.150
Aliases:  outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net, smtp-vzn.mail.yahoo.com

- NF

0 Likes
Donald_Linbin
Contributor - Level 1

I think there are issues currently with the yahoo servers, at least that's the word I am hearing.

0 Likes
natefirethorn
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, thanks. Any MTTR estimate? -NF.

0 Likes
Donald_Linbin
Contributor - Level 1

not at this time, the website is working though if you really need to send a message.

0 Likes
natefirethorn
Enthusiast - Level 2
Problem was resolved with the help of phone support. The account name on the SMTP server was changed from "my.name" to "my.name@verizon.net". Too bad the tech support only understands about "your Outlook" 😛 when I have happily used Thunderbird for years. - NF
0 Likes
RichardMandel

Thanks for troubleshooting and posting - it saved me time.

Verizon has my email and phone - they communicate to sell, but not to notify when they are making a change?

Have a great day!

0 Likes
VZ_JoeD
Contributor - Level 1

No fingers to point here. It was a code update on Yahoo side that exploited an indifference on how people set their username up.  Verizon supports webmail.verizon.net aka Verizon Central.  If you decide by choice to use a 3rd party email client then yahoo did require it to be setup as yourname@verizon.net.  The users who did not set it up as so were not experiencing any issues until the latest code release.  Yahoo then abruptly backed this release up and made it possible to use it once again without demanding the @verizon.net.

0 Likes
chetv2

Verizon tech support just fixed the same issue for me by changing the outgoing server smtp to 587; no checks in the boxes for ssl.

0 Likes