Self-service ONT to G3100 Router Wiring Allowed?
lowatt
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi everyone.  I have a mandatory Internet service change coming and I can't keep the existing coax connection. I really would like to run the Ethernet cable myself for logistic reasons, and have the Verizon tech just do the terminations. The Verizon rep who scheduled the change could not answer this question. Is there some way I can run the Ethernet wire myself? Is there a special type or grade of Ethernet cable needed other than that it has to be Cat 5e or Cat 6?

I have experience running and crimping Ethernet cables, actually have some Cat 5e solid conductor plenum cable already but it's probably not good for the outside of the house (just a few inches) part of the run at the ONT.

0 Likes
Re: Self-service ONT to G3100 Router Wiring Allowed?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Cat 5e is rated to 2.5Gbps, and Cat 6 is rated to 10Gbps at 100 ft.  It is 2023 and Cat 6 or Cat 6a is recommended over Cat 5e. There are outdoor rated cable, but not really necessary for a short run like that.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can run the cable yourself if you want. For the terminations, if you show Verizon the cable, the technician may be willing to put ends on it  - however note that CAT5e ends and CAT6a ends are usually built a little differently to accommodate differences in cable gauge and the twist requirements. The tech may only carry ends which match the kind of cable and crimper they use. Terminating isn't hard, and I'd recommend using Keystones if you're working with CAT6/CAT6a or any other sort of thick cable, or you really don't want to deal with crimping, or are just nervous (easier to undo a mistake with a keystone). If you do the cable run and terminations yourself, you may also be able to ask Verizon to change your speed upgrade order to a Self Install, assuming you don't need a new ONT for whatever it is that you ordered.

I helped a relative run CAT5e across the house between their ONT and Router as part of an upgrade to 300Mbps during the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, and Verizon was willing to enable 300Mbps on my good word that we properly installed Ethernet to the ONT. All we did was connect the Ethernet up to the G1100 FiOS router, leave the Coax connected, and overnight, Verizon pushed the 300Mbps speeds to the ONT and switched on Ethernet. The G1100 picked up on the change automatically and all was well. No technician needed.

lowatt
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the replies. I ended up using the Cat 5e as pull cable that I placed in advance, and used it to pull Verizon's Cat 6 cable--besides being faster it had a heavier jacket--made the tech visit a little shorter.

Keeping the 10 year old ONT and the G3100 I just bought five months ago was not an option with the 1 GB plan I went on, which comes with a "free" CR1000A router rental and extender if I need one, which I don't. In hind sight I probably should've went for the 300 MB plan instead, but that's another story. At least I am getting over 900 MB speeds up and down using the Verizon speed test.

0 Likes