Re: Slow real world upload speed
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

Here is a traceroute to Hightail, which is the fastest file sending site that I can access.  I can only achieve at most a 4 Mbps upload speed to that site - all other sites such as Dropbox and Wetransfer are much slower. My plan is 50/50.   Latency seems to be fine, so there must be a bottleneck somewhere.  Anyone have any advice?

traceroute to www.hightail.com (204.107.28.200), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets

1  wireless_broadband_router (192.168.1.1)  0.799 ms  0.613 ms  0.498 ms

2  l100.lsanca-vfttp-101.verizon-gni.net (96.251.---.1)  5.771 ms  4.550 ms  4.992 ms

3  g0-6-4-3.lsanca-lcr-21.verizon-gni.net (130.81.131.186)  4.959 ms  7.086 ms  7.468 ms

4  * * *

5  0.ae1.xl3.lax15.alter.net (140.222.227.15)  19.507 ms  77.075 ms  4.973 ms

6  tengige0-6-2-0.gw4.lax15.alter.net (152.63.114.213)  7.480 ms

tengige0-4-0-0.gw4.lax15.alter.net (152.63.112.73)  7.113 ms

tengige0-4-4-0.gw4.lax15.alter.net (152.63.115.242)  7.413 ms

7  teliasonera-gw.customer.alter.net (152.179.21.42)  7.176 ms  7.405 ms  7.215 ms

8  las-bb1-link.telia.net (62.115.140.20)  7.746 ms  7.151 ms  7.518 ms

9  sjo-bb1-link.telia.net (213.155.135.189)  17.451 ms  17.379 ms  17.473 ms

10  internap-ic-140172-sjo-bb1.c.telia.net (213.248.81.134)  19.976 ms  19.626 ms  19.973 ms

11  border3.pc2-bbnet2.sje.pnap.net (66.151.144.71)  32.713 ms  17.126 ms  17.718 ms

12  yousendit-5.border3.sje.pnap.net (74.217.69.98)  19.980 ms  19.631 ms  19.988 ms

13  204.107.28.200 (204.107.28.200)  17.456 ms  16.596 ms  17.712 ms

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

How are you actually transferring the files?

I consistently get ~35-40 mb/s uploading to my website server, Dreamhost, located in Virginia.  That's for a one file at a time.  If I upload two or three (or more) files at time, I max out my 75 mb/s plan, exceeding 80 mb/s.

I use SFTP format via the WinSCP application.  It just works.

0 Likes
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

Usually with Safari browser on the Mac, but similar speeds using dedicated Hightail upload app.  Tested at same speed using Firefox on a PC running WIndows 7 that has run the FIOS optimizer.   Even slower when using Dropbox client folder installed on Mac desktop.   

I usally only run Macs, but have a PC for testing purposes.  Seems to always be slow no matter what I do, but only for uploads.

Again,  when running tests at online speed test sites, my upload speed drops off drastically when testing to any server other than my closest ones, but download always stays high, even to distant servers.  When testing coast to coast,  download speeds stay around 58 Mbps, but upload drops to 5 Mbps.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Well....I've noticed similar results when using various servers at speedtest.net.   With local servers I get maximum down and upload speeds.   If I click through some west coast servers, I usually get the same download speeds as with a local server, but upload speeds are reduced considerably.

I can't explain this.  The vagaries of the Internet?  Or something with Verizon's routing.  I don't know.

0 Likes
abcdefghij1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Kestrel -

I am having the exact same issue. I recently upgraded to 50/50 service. When I first tested it, I got the expected speeds. But the upload speed degraded a day or so later. Depending on the server selected in Verizon's speed test, I get anywhere from 1 Mb/sec to occasionally as much as 20 Mb/sec. I am also on a Mac and have tested with multiple computers, multiple ethernet cords, multiple router ports, multiple speed test web sites and multiple server locations. Download continues to be >50 Mb/sec on all tests.

Three long calls to support were not helpful. That included them rebooting my system and sending me a new router. Then they finally sent a tech to verify the slow speeds but it took a half an hour for him to get the speed test running on the crappy tablet they gave him. He was supposed to come back yesterday because they were going to change something at Verizon's site (PON card ?) and they insisted he be here for that, but he never showed up. I called support again and they said they would make the change last evening.

So when I got up this morning I ran the speed test and wow - uploads speeds were around 40 Mb/sec so I figured they solved the problem. But now, a little while later they are back around 5 Mb/sec.

0 Likes
Not applicable
I'm having the same issue but instead i have the 150/150 plan, it's been confirmed that verizon is throttling consumers speeds depending on which services they're going through, I've been trying to livestream through my ps4 which requires just 5 mbps upload to run 1080p and my viewers are telling me my livestream keeps buffering none stop, what a joke! I used to have 5 mbps down 5 up with Time warner and I never had an issue for 4 years, now I have "150" and my games lag, get packet loss and I can barely download/upload at 1mbps, ironically like you said the verizon speed test website shows it fine and that's what they use to cover up the throttling, this whole netflix/verizon issues what brought ppl to notice it's not only netflix being throttled it's everything, try using a VPN service like VyprVPN to get past it.
0 Likes
guybarth

I have had the same problem since Apr.  I pay for 15/5, I'm getting download speeds of 24.5, but my upload speeds range from 0-1 MB.  Usually the Verizon speed test time out on the upload part.  The weirdest thing is that my Ipad and the technicians device get 4-5 on the upload speeds.  However, nothing has changed on our computers (2 windows 8 and 2 windows 7), but all them have the same upload problem.  All 4 of them work fine on other networks.

Verizon and I have tried:

1.  reseting router (10 times)

2.  replacing router (twice)

3.  replacing verizon box (once)

4.  resettting stuff on their end (3-5 times)

5.  turning off wifi devices (2 times)

6.  connecing hardwired (everytime)

Once time I got my PC to goto 4.5 upload after turning off the other wifi devices, but I never again had the same sucess.  

Verizon, FIOS is your flag ship product, how hard can this be?  The IPAD and the technicians device are getting 4-5 upload, but all PCs are getting 0-1.  Figure out the issue, and make the fix accessible to all your phone and technicians so everyone knows what to do when this problem occurs.  For now, my internet speed is terrible because the upload issue is slowing everything down.  

Next, your customer service has had some good points and some bad points.  

Bad:

1.  Verizon really wants to blame the customer's computer.  So, the problem is suddenly on all 4 PCs, 2 with windows 7 and 2 with windows 8, and it is the computers problem?  All 4 computers work properly on other networks, and it is the computer's problem?  I have a great idea, bring your own PC to my house and see if that fixes the problem.  If it does, then make my settings the same as your computer and spread the word to everyone else to so that everyone knows what to do.  However, I really doubt your PC will get the proper upload speeds either....

2.  Technicians like to run through the same steps that other tecnicians have already tried numerous times.  Lets see, I have been on the phone and chat and had a tecnician at the house.  I have spent 10-15 hours on this problem, do I really need to waste more time going through the same steps I have tried numerous times before?  Ask your CEO if he wants to do the same things over and over again with no results?  I have an idea, treat your customers like your CEO, and don't waste their time.

3.  stop shooting in the dark, listen to the details of the problem. To me, it is pretty clear that something on your side of the network is seeing PC uploads and squezzing the bandwith.  If that is the case, do something on your end and/or tell users how to prevent this problem with a specific settings change.  

Cheers

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
Just an FYI, round trip around the equator is 400ms due to his fast light can travel. Just to add some perspective. So 127ms to Dublin might not be all that bad
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

Tested slow again several times using the official Verizon speed test.  Called and got a supervisor who had me run a traceroute, and he said it showed that there was a problem within Verizon's network because it timed out before hop 6.  He started a ticket and said that a network technician would call me, but none has and it has been 6 days.  

Still seeing the occasional slow test using Verizon's test, but upload ALWAYS tests slow using an HTML5 speed test (download is always perfect),  usually about 5 when it should be 50.    Still seeing traceroute time out before hop 6 as well.    

Same old story.  9 months of trying to get the speed I am paying for- Verizon keeps saying that they will do something, but never do.

0 Likes
abcdefghij1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, after 2 technician visits I finally got the attention of a supervisor. He came this morning, along with another person, but everything was already working as expected - I was finally getting around 50 Mb/sec upload. They said they did something at their end.

All well and good except that I just did a test this evening and the upload speed is again around 1 Mb/sec.

I've definitely noticed this trend before - very slow in the evening and then faster in the morning.

What the heck is going on? Why do they promote 50/50 internet when they cannot reliably deliver it?

0 Likes