Re: Slow real world upload speed
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

Finally, I got a tech that was determined to solve my issue.  My service was switched to GPON and that immediately increased my actual upload speeds (as tested by uploading files - NOT the speed tests) to about 2-3 times what they had been just before the switchover.  Also, the nightly slowdowns as measured by the Verizon speed tests have stopped. Packet loss issue is gone now too.

HOWEVER, the upload speed is still slower than it should be.  When uploading a 240 MB file, it now takes 3 minutes to the very fastest sites (Hightail and Google G-drive), while taking over 10 mintues to most other file transfer service sites.  Verizon says that it should only take 40 seconds for a 250 MB file upload on their 50/50 service, which is what I have.   So the actual upload speed is still at least 4 times slower than Verizon says it should be.  Also, after uploading the 240 MB file to these sites, the same file is 2-4 times faster to download from those sites than it was to upload, presumably from the same server through the same route.

Online HTML5 speed tests show that my upload speed is between 9-18 Mbps (about 3-5 times slower than it should be).  As usual, download speeds are always fine.

All tests are done hardwired. It isn't the router - tested by connecting directly to the ONT via ethernet showed no faster upload speeds. Tried changing send and receive buffer sizes with no effect.

0 Likes
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

Can somebody or a few of you please test your internet (particularly upload speeds) using one of these HTML5 speed tests and post your results here, along with your contracted Verizon speed tier?

http://speedof.me

http://testmy.net

Just seeing if others have the same issue.  My download speed always reports fine using those, but upload is always only at 10-30% of my provisioned speed.  (5-15 Mbps actual instead of the 50 Mbps it should be)

Thanks

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Speedofme never would test my upload speed.  Testmy showed my upload as 3.9 Mb/s, but upload as 160 Mb/s, that on a 75/75 FiOS plan.

Neither of those tests give me any confidence in those test sites considering that I consistently see at least the speeds I'm paying for when doing real world uploads and downloads and measuring them with DU Meter.

0 Likes
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks, jefe

Running traceroutes, they always time out at hop 5, between Verizon and Alter.net, no metter where the traceroute is run to.  The traceroutes did complete after the hop 5 timeouts.  Not sure what these means, so if anyone can interpret, please do so.

I won't post all of the traceroutes, but here are a couple of the hops that timed out at #5:

4  ae1-0.lax01-bb-rtr1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.199.90)  4.952 ms  3.126 ms  3.735 ms
 5  * * *
 6  0.ae2.xl3.lax15.alter.net (140.222.227.19)  3.669 ms  5.595 ms  3.487 ms

ANOTHER

4  so-4-1-0-0.lax01-bb-rtr2.verizon-gni.net (130.81.151.248)  5.483 ms  7.894 ms  6.511 ms
 5  * * *
 6  0.ae5.br1.lax15.alter.net (140.222.225.135)  5.930 ms  6.595 ms  6.730 ms

AND ANOTHER:

4  ae4-0.lax01-bb-rtr2.verizon-gni.net (130.81.199.114)  7.264 ms  8.364 ms  16.738 ms
 5  * * *
 6  0.ae6.br1.lax15.alter.net (140.222.225.137)  7.410 ms  5.873 ms  6.991 ms
0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Kestrel wrote:

Thanks, jefe

Running traceroutes, they always time out at hop 5, between Verizon and Alter.net, no metter where the traceroute is run to.  The traceroutes did complete after the hop 5 timeouts.  Not sure what these means, so if anyone can interpret, please do so.

I won't post all of the traceroutes, but here are a couple of the hops that timed out at #5:

4  ae1-0.lax01-bb-rtr1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.199.90)  4.952 ms  3.126 ms  3.735 ms
 5  * * *
 6  0.ae2.xl3.lax15.alter.net (140.222.227.19)  3.669 ms  5.595 ms  3.487 ms

ANOTHER

4  so-4-1-0-0.lax01-bb-rtr2.verizon-gni.net (130.81.151.248)  5.483 ms  7.894 ms  6.511 ms
 5  * * *
 6  0.ae5.br1.lax15.alter.net (140.222.225.135)  5.930 ms  6.595 ms  6.730 ms

AND ANOTHER:

4  ae4-0.lax01-bb-rtr2.verizon-gni.net (130.81.199.114)  7.264 ms  8.364 ms  16.738 ms
 5  * * *
 6  0.ae6.br1.lax15.alter.net (140.222.225.137)  7.410 ms  5.873 ms  6.991 ms

Nothing unusual about certain hops timing out.  It has no meaning other than that server is either set to not respond, or responds at a low priority. The next hop is shown as resonding and does so in a reasonable time so its not causing a problem.

timby

This seems to be a complaint that Verizon is unwilling to resolve. I too have the same issues. 

As a tech writer I did the documents for the box that contains the hardware (optical) for Verizon. It's great hardware. But as with anything when it's being overloaded, misused, etc then the results are poor. I feel this is the issues with all these companies. 

They pack as many as they can on a network. Then when issues arise they put the customer through the ringer as they know that they have no competition. 

The signal goes through the same cable but it's a different light spectrum for TV, Internet, & phone. So the upload & download shouldn't be limited from a stand point of the hardware. However, it can be shaped on the hardware end by Verizon. That's how they limit your bandwidth. 

I would wager that most folks don't see this as an issue as they're only interested in the download speed. 

I wonder if anyone has used a VPN client to test this out. To see if Verizon is playing tricks on their customers?

Again their customer support is spotty at best. They wanted me to take a laptop out to their ONT. Plug it in. COntact them to have them release the session. Then see if that was the issue. I told the tech guy on the phone, that it's shouldn't be the customer's responsibility to do the Tech's job. He was out & should have been supplied with the equipment to test & verify the functioned of the equipment. 

0 Likes
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

I tried using a VPN, and it did not improve the actual upload speed.  

Certainly, overloading has something to do with it, since I could see that only upload speeds would test slow using Verizon speed test during peak usage times.  But that was just a slight symptom of the overall issue, where actual upload speed is always slow, no matter what the tests say.

I have read that uploads are treated differently than downloads between the CO and the customer by equipment at the CO.  There must be a glitch somewhere at the CO in a device that is common to both BPON's and GPON's for this neighborhood, since it is slow on both, although faster on GPON.  Perhaps it is the gateway router at the CO?

0 Likes
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

This problem is still happening.  I just upgraded to 75/75, and actual upload speed is even worse than before.  I did see some improvements about a month ago when I tested, and it was pretty much what it was supposed to be.  Verizon official speed test still shows more than I am supposed to be getting.

Now, uploads to the two fastest sites (Google and Hightail) for a 240 MB file are 4:14 and 3:00.  That is about a 10 Mbps upload speed.  The same file only takes :30 to download from those same sites, meaning the actual upload speed is 4-8 times slower than the actual download speed.

HTML5 based speed tests show good download speeds, but super slow upload speeds still

SpeedofMe -  87 Mbps download /  21 Mbps upload

TestMy.net -  81 Mbps download /   31 Mbps upload

Curiously, dslreports.com HTML5 speed test shows  83 / 89 speeds, but give a bufferbloat score of D, and also quality B, speed C.  

Would love to fix this.  I upload a lot and need it to be as fast as possible.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

There was a setting in the past on some routers to limit upload speed (qos) that you needed to turn off.  I know it was on some Netgear routers.

0 Likes
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

I have a Verizon Actiontec Rev. I  and have tried 3 different units of the same model - always slow on uploads only.  Was also slow when connecting directly to the ONT without using any router, so that's not the issue.

There is congestion or some other issue down the line toward / at the CO, since I have been switched to a different PON card as well.

0 Likes