TV One 4k wifi 6 mesh network
nelsont1

I have a 2300 sq ft home on 3 split levels. I have 1 television and no computer...I use my phone for web browsing. My service includes gigabit Ethernet and I use ondemand to watch 4k movies and live sports (superbowl).

My TV and router and cable box obviously are all together and they are on the ground floor in the southeast corner of the house while my bedrooms are 2 floors up in the northwest corner of the house. 1 bedroom floats in and out between poor service and no service.

I could be wrong but it's my understanding the TV One box is required for 4k content which is my primary objective. Would the new Verizon wifi 6 router (or any wifi 6 router) provide a sufficient increase in coverage (and speed) in my bedrooms or would it be worth the $700 to get the Orbi 6 just to say I am taking full advantage of my gigabit at every point in the house? 

Full disclosure my Quantum Gateway is inside a tv cabinet that uses IR repeaters to provide a clean no-show look and gives me about 54 mb/s on speed test from 8 feet away in the same room so almost anything will probably give me better speed. I'm more concerned about coverage.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: TV One 4k wifi 6 mesh network
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes TV One is required for 4K viewing. The G3100 does have better range, but there is no guarantee that it will give better wifi in the bedrooms. I personally would stick with the G1100 with wifi disable and get an Orbi mesh system setup in AP mode. 

As far as wifi6 and gigabit for one phone and no computer, that is way overkill. Streaming a 4k program only requires 25 mbps. The wifi5(AC) Orbi will be fine. Also as far a range goes, you should never hide routers in a cabinet. They should be out in the open. Hiding inside a cabinet is just one more layer of interference for the signal to travel through. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes TV One is required for 4K viewing. The G3100 does have better range, but there is no guarantee that it will give better wifi in the bedrooms. I personally would stick with the G1100 with wifi disable and get an Orbi mesh system setup in AP mode. 

As far as wifi6 and gigabit for one phone and no computer, that is way overkill. Streaming a 4k program only requires 25 mbps. The wifi5(AC) Orbi will be fine. Also as far a range goes, you should never hide routers in a cabinet. They should be out in the open. Hiding inside a cabinet is just one more layer of interference for the signal to travel through. 

nelsont1

Understandable. 

I did not want gigabit. Verizon was running a deal. I got the gigabit on a deal that was cheaper than the 100 mbps service. The promotion also came with a free samsung tv which was listed on bestbuy and amazon both for 350 and I sold for 200.

My tv and speakers were custom installed by a local theater store with all in-wall wiring and special cabinetry. There is no place to put the router unless you place it on top of the center channel speaker which is not advisable. That and the verizon guy only had one 6 inch ethernet cable to connect the router and cable box. I asked him if he could get a longer one and he said that's all he had in the truck. Go figure. At least it works and I know where to go from here. Thanks!

0 Likes