Thinking of FIOS
OnTheFence2016
Enthusiast - Level 1

I live in an apartment building where each tenant has the choice of provders for internet, phone, tv services.  I would like to have FIOS installed but I am confused about the ONT.  Will it be installed inside or outside of my apartment?  My building does not have an accessible basement.  This is my only hold back in ordering services.  Thanx!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Thinking of FIOS
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Standard install is typically outside.

But given that power pack has to be inside, it may not be feasible to do it that way.

You will really have to wiat for tech to come out to actually do install to know 100%.

No one can say for sure without a site visit.

View solution in original post

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't know if they will do an install for just a single customer in a apartment building.  Does anyone else already have service in your building?  Is FIOS even offered in your area?

Few areas of the country actually have multiple choice for TV service.  Most often one Cable company, maybe one Phone Company that offers TV, and Satellite service.

OnTheFence2016
Enthusiast - Level 1

@tns_2 wrote:

I don't know if they will do an install for just a single customer in a apartment building.  Does anyone else already have service in your building?  Is FIOS even offered in your area?

Few areas of the country actually have multiple choice for TV service.  Most often one Cable company, maybe one Phone Company that offers TV, and Satellite service.

My area offers both Comcast and FIOS.  One tenant has Comcast and the other has satelite.  Why couldn't I have FIOS installed in my place only?
0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

It may depend on how complicated the installation would be.

I suggest you click on the "Check Availabilty" link on the web page:

http://fios.verizon.com/fios-coverage.html

If when you enter your zip code it says Fios is available, call the number shown and see if you can place an order.

As for your ogiinal question about the location of the ONT, why would it matter?  The installer will decide where the ONT will be placed.  Personally, I much prefer an indoors installation so the ONT isn't exposed to the weather.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

It may depend on how many uints there are.

If there are a number, you may not even get a normal ONT.

Buildings with multiple units use a different architecture than single family homes.

Unless there is an easy way to run the fiber to your unit, ONT will prbably be outside.
Esepcially if you have cable run to your unit for a location outside the building.

0 Likes
OnTheFence2016
Enthusiast - Level 1

@CRobGauth wrote:

It may depend on how many uints there are.

If there are a number, you may not even get a normal ONT.

Buildings with multiple units use a different architecture than single family homes.

Unless there is an easy way to run the fiber to your unit, ONT will prbably be outside.
Esepcially if you have cable run to your unit for a location outside the building.

My building is a converted dwelling that has 4 apartments.  It is not wired for any specific phone or internet services so each tenant can choose their own provider.  What I would like to know is if the ONT would need to be mounted outside and inside or inside only.  My neighborhood/address is eligible for FIOS service.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Standard install is typically outside.

But given that power pack has to be inside, it may not be feasible to do it that way.

You will really have to wiat for tech to come out to actually do install to know 100%.

No one can say for sure without a site visit.

darthgamer641

Sorry this is a little late to the party, but for future reference for others...

It depends on the apartment structure itself. If you have your own basement or garage, they'll probably put it there. However in most cases that I've seen, they're just going to put it in a closet inside the residence. Whether it's the bedroom closet or the living room closet, that depends on your unit and whether the fiber is distributed inside the building or outside from the street. It looks nicer that way and out of sight for many.

0 Likes