Trying to bridge / repeater of 2 Quantum G1100 routers.
pizzaman2
Enthusiast - Level 2

First I want to thank you all in taking the time to help me. Your combined wisdom is greatly appreciated. I think I Have a unique situation because everything I am reading is in regards to bridging the Fios G1100 as the bridging router (2nd router) and using some other router as the main router. I have tried a few methods but with no success.
I have 2 (two) Fios G100 Gateway routers. They are both identical. I acquired the 2nd one from a friend who retired and moved to Florida. Over the last 1 ½ years I have been turning my home into a smart home. A little at a time. I have come a long way and loving it. Too much to list but it is the future. My home is typical size however some of my smart devices at the other end of my house for mysterious reasons will drop off the network which is a pain because you usually have to bring it closer to the router to get it working again before returning it to its proper placement. Thus leading me to try and increase my range and possibly speed. The main Fios G1100 is hardwired via coaxial. I would like to use the 2nd Fios G1100 as a repeater / extender if possible. Can this be done wirelessly (after setup)? If so can anyone help with the proper setup procedure? Also if it is not possible to set up the 2nd Fios G 1100 wirelessly I do have access to other coaxial connections throughout the house but it will be impossible to run more data cable (cat5). This is why I’m hoping it can be done wirelessly.
Thanks
Pizzaman

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Trying to bridge / repeater of 2 Quantum G1100 routers.
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The same SSID/password is fine and won't cause and issue. Is your WAN connection from ONT to main G1100 on MoCA? I'm thinking that might be the problem. I've done this when WAN connection was ethernet. If on MoCA the 2 G1100s might be fighting for the WAN IP address. Try also going Broadband Connection and set to Disabled to see if that helps.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can't be done wirelessly. Need to use coax or ethernet. Login to the router at 192.1681.1 or myfiosgateway.com go to My Network, Network Connections, LAN Home/Office, Settings and change the router IP to something other than 192.168.1.1 then scroll down and turn off the DHCP server. 

pizzaman2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the info. Just so I have it clearly.....All I need to do is change the IP and turn off DHCP server? Is this on the Main router or the one i am trying to use as the repeater? Also is it the same coax that the STB uses? And Im sorry but one last question. Even though the router will be hardwired via coax will it still allow my wireless devices to communicate through it to the main router?

Thx

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes by turning off DHCP server and changing the IP it will be on the same subnet as your router. The main router leave as is. These changes will be for the repeater. It will use the same coax as the STBs

pizzaman2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, I changed the IP to 192.168.1.2 and disable DHCP. I also renamed my wifi 2.4ghz and 5ghz to the same as the main router so not to conflict with my wifi devices. However this did not work and lost all conections. I tryied also to reboot the routers but no sucess. Not sure if it has anything to do with having the same ssid and password as the main router seeing im trying to share / increase the wifi signal. Did we miss anything? Thx

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The same SSID/password is fine and won't cause and issue. Is your WAN connection from ONT to main G1100 on MoCA? I'm thinking that might be the problem. I've done this when WAN connection was ethernet. If on MoCA the 2 G1100s might be fighting for the WAN IP address. Try also going Broadband Connection and set to Disabled to see if that helps.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Make sure your Network(Home/Office) looks like nothing else on your network has a LAN address of 192.168.1.2 

pizzaman2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think its working now Smiley Tongue But for some reason the globe on the repeater is red. Also I noticed on the repeater that the IP of 192.168.1.2 is set to one of my STB's. I thought this is odd seeing that now the Repeater is set to that IP address ??

When I look at MY Network tab on the repeater there are devices I no longer recognize and it states I have 13 coax connections. Any ideas why it would rename my devices and list 13 coax connections? There should only be 4 coax connections. I know Im asking a lot but how do i know for sure the repeater is actually doing its job by increasing my signal strength?

Many thanks

0 Likes
pizzaman2
Enthusiast - Level 2

UPDATE:

All wifi devices seem to be working while both routers are running but I still dont know if the repeater G1100 is actually working as intended?? It is showing my devices but its saying there are connected by coax. I know it cant be but still its messing with my head. On another good note It seems the 192.168.1.2 has corrected itself and is no longer set to the STB as it was oringnally listed. Is there a way to test a device that the repeater G1100 is picking up? 

Thx

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader
 wrote:

I think its working now Smiley Tongue But for some reason the globe on the repeater is red.

Globe on repeater will be red. The globe is for a WAN connection. 

Also I noticed on the repeater that the IP of 192.168.1.2 is set to one of my STB's. I thought this is odd seeing that now the Repeater is set to that IP address ??

This is strange usually the set-top get an IP range of 192.168.1.100-150

When I look at MY Network tab on the repeater there are devices I no longer recognize and it states I have 13 coax connections. Any ideas why it would rename my devices and list 13 coax connections? There should only be 4 coax connections. 

What type of set-tops do you have. Cisco boxes will show 2 IPs for each box. One for the cable card and other for the box itself. That will account for 8 IPs but no sure where the other 5 would come from. 

I know Im asking a lot but how do i know for sure the repeater is actually doing its job by increasing my signal strength?

You could download a wifi analyzer app from the play store and check the signal by the repeater.