Upgrade internet speed
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I currently have the standard router & I'm paying for 50/50. It's the Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I. I'm considering getting the Quantum router. Do I really need to upgrade to the Quantum router in order to get 75/75 or higher? Certainly, I can get a higher internet speed with my current router, can't I?

I'm retired & I'm looking for ways to spend less money per month.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Upgrade internet speed
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

How would the tech separate the 2 signals?

Sorry, I should have been more clear Smiley Happy

I meant that even though Internet and TV go over the same physical wire to your house, they are completely seperate signals and do not interact with eachother, in any way. 

Thats interesting that the tech swapped out your ONT previously due to pixelation issues previously. I'd definitely contact Verizon and have them take a look at whats causing the issue. I do wish we could give more support in the forums, but these issues are usually hard to track down from a customer perspective. 

You can definitely try upgrading to 75 Mbps if you wanted, however as others have stated, this probably won't solve the root issue.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why do you think you need higher speed?

The rev I should support 75.

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I have a 55" HDTV. When there's fast action on the screen, the whole screen pixelates. I'm thinking that with 50/50, the data isn't downloaded fast enough. I have a smartphone, iPad & 2 Macs & HDTV. All of them are sharing the 50/50 bandwidth.

Is there a bandwidth test that I can do to test my theory? Can it support any of the offered speds? I don't want to spend money on a new router if I can get faster speeds on my current router.

I'm retired & living on a fixed income. I'm looking for ways to spend less on my TV, internet & phone. I've wondered about satellite TV or dropping Extreme TV & replacing it with Hulu. I'm researching my options. My Triple Play contract expires on 5/20/2017 so I don't have much time to decide what to do.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@pcnerd wrote:

I have a 55" HDTV. When there's fast action on the screen, the whole screen pixelates. I'm thinking that with 50/50, the data isn't downloaded fast enough. I have a smartphone, iPad & 2 Macs & HDTV. All of them are sharing the 50/50 bandwidth.

Is there a bandwidth test that I can do to test my theory? Can it support any of the offered speds? I don't want to spend money on a new router if I can get faster speeds on my current router.

I'm retired & living on a fixed income. I'm looking for ways to spend less on my TV, internet & phone. I've wondered about satellite TV or dropping Extreme TV & replacing it with Hulu. I'm researching my options. My Triple Play contract expires on 5/20/2017 so I don't have much time to decide what to do.

I can assure you the speed you have should be smooth. I use to have a 15/1 at Time Warner and our multiple TV's and iPads and iPhones and other computers were blazing fast.

what tv are you referring to. Hulu, Amazon Prime, over the air? Need more information 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I assume TV is wireless and your issues are with streaming.

Could be poor WiFi performance.

Try streaming video on a PC.

If that works fine, then not internet issue.

If possible, try another device near tv.

Check to see if there are any updates to app and/or streaming device.

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

As others have suggested, its most likely a WiFi performance issue.

Is your TV near a coaxial outlet? I would strongly reccomend you look into these MoCA adapters, which would send data over your existing Coax wire and eliminate the wifi issues all together.  http://a.co/0IpZULX (There is a cheaper method of using another Actiontec router, but it can be tricky to setup).

My rule of thumb is, if the device dosen't move, wire it. 

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I assume TV is wireless and your issues are with streaming.
Could be poor WiFi performance.

There's no wireless connection between the DVR & the HDTV. There's a HDMI cable between the DVR & the HDTV.

Try streaming video on a PC.

I have a Mac but I assume the principle is the same as with a PC.

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

As others have suggested, its most likely a WiFi performance issue.

There's a HDMI cable between the DVR & the HDTV.

Is your TV near a coaxial outlet? I would strongly reccomend you look into these MoCA adapters, which would send data over your existing Coax wire and eliminate the wifi issues all together. http://a.co/0IpZULX (There is a cheaper method of using another Actiontec router, but it can be tricky to setup).

The HDTV is in the living room & there's only a few feet between the DVR & the HDTV.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I apologize, your TV is connected directly too your Verizon set top box. I assumed you were using a smart TV to stream video from the internet.

Your TV signal should be separate from your internet. Only on demand has the potential (notice I said potential) to interfere with your internet and vice versa, which I've never seen happen before.

You may want to have a Verizon tech come out and test your cabling, as the live TV signal to your Verizon set top box does not rely on the Internet, and the pixelation issue may be originating from elsewhere.

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

Your TV signal should be separate from your internet. Only on demand has the potential (notice I said potential) to interfere with your internet and vice versa, which I've never seen happen before.
How would the tech separate the 2 signals?

You may want to have a Verizon tech come out and test your cabling, as the live TV signal to your Verizon set top box does not rely on the Internet, and the pixelation issue may be originating from elsewhere.

A few months ago, some of the channels had horizontal pixels across the screen. When FIOS was originally installed, I had a white ONT box. The tech told me that Verizon had had problems with the white box. so, he replaced the white ONT with a black ONT. There was still some pixellation after he replaced the white ONT, so he replaced the DVR as well.

I'm not sure how to describe the problem. It's very brief. When there's rapidly changing action on the TV, the whole screen has sort of a grainy look to it. It only happens when there's rapidly changing action on the screen. It's a 55" 1080P TV. Maybe 55" is too big for 1080P. I sit maybe 8 feet away from it. It probably wouldn't be noticeable if I sat farther away. Maybe it's happening because the data that the TV needs isn't downloaded fast enough. That's my theory. Maybe a faster download speed would solve the problem. There's 1 way to find out & that's to get 75/75. If the problem persists, then I change back to 50/50.

0 Likes