Re: Verizon needs some math lessons
SystemWonk
Enthusiast - Level 2

We have a hum on the voice service - it gets really bad when it is raining.  It is the classic low-pitch 60 Hz electrical hum.  We were switched to a different copper pair from the cross box about a week ago.  It helped a little, but the hum is still there.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@SystemWonk wrote:

We have a hum on the voice service - it gets really bad when it is raining.  It is the classic low-pitch 60 Hz electrical hum.  We were switched to a different copper pair from the cross box about a week ago.  It helped a little, but the hum is still there.

I asked some one else, what that could mean.

I have to ask some questions about the landline phones that you have.

#1 How old are you phone(s)?

#2 How much did you pay for the phone(s) that you have?

#3 What is the brand and model of the phones that you have?

--

#4 If you do not recall the exact answer to all of those questions, answer to the best of your ability.

#5 [EDIT] Here are other things that could mean..

It either means there is untwisted or loosely twisted telephone cabling running close to electrical or other noisy wiring or devices. Could also mean a cable pair is "Broken" or disconnected where only one out of the two wires will function (like the flat cabling, but worse in effect especially around fluorescent lighting).
0 Likes
SystemWonk
Enthusiast - Level 2

A verizon voice technician confirmed that the hum was bewteen the NID and the cross box.  I don't think that he was allowed to tell us that we have substandard infrastructure in our area and Verizon is not willing to fix it.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

isn't 80% of 1.5 (1500),  1.2 (1200)?

what's the deal?  

if they said they would like for you to be 80% of your bandwidth and your bandwidth is from 1.5 to 3.0 where is the problem?  you're right in their ballpark.

Hubrisnxs
Legend
1.5 is 50% of 3.0 so they aren't talking about the high end right?
SystemWonk
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think that it hubris in excess for Verizon to sell a product and deliver only 80% of that product.   Nowhere does it say that they will guarantee  only 80% performance.  However, if Verizon is satisfied to provide the bare minimum that they have to legally, then I don't know how they will survive.  I have another service technician coming out tomorrow.  If things don't improve, I will be switching to cable.  Verizon - striving for mediocrity.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

They say speeds will vary based on the condition of ur line and to the best of my recollection the tos doesn't make any minimum committed rates. So we r just going off what you are telling us and if they are saying 80% then that's 1200 or 1.2 no?

let us know how it goes.

SystemWonk
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update:  DSL is now back up to 1.8 for no apparent reason, which is good.  Verizon says nothing is wrong with the line.  We still have a loud electrical hum.  I finally got a replacement fuse for my Fluke and found that there is .5V AC current at 60Hz on the phone line at the NID (with the house side disconnected).  I am sure that this would explain the hum and probably the DSL issues.  Why doesn't Verszon see this?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I know they treat the two seperately.

so they treat the dsl individually and they test noise margins for that. 

if you really think the hum is the issue,  call regular repair and complain only about that, let them know you tested at the nid and the hum is still there and you want a tech out to fix the hum.

if the hum is outside - they will fix it, free and if the hum is related to your speed issue, then that will fix your speed issue.

the two may or may not be related.   call em and try it.

800 483 1000

Dephinix
Enthusiast - Level 3

1216kb = 1.1Mb, just a little over 1.1kb to be exact. 

80% of the lowest guaranteed rate(1.5Mbps) is 1.2kbps, so you are being pushed around anyway you look at it. They do not teach their phone handlers anything. All they do is sit and read script. When they say "hold on", they are doing a buddy huddle for half an hour trying to learn at the last second what the **** you are talking about, rofl! Simple binary friend.