Re: Verizon no longer to allow users to use FTP to maintain their personal web site
tenor2
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is really a shame.  I don't care to use there slow web upload.  FTP worked fine.  Didn't find out about this until after the fact.  Now I can't get all of my files back.  This is not good business.

Re: Verizon no longer to allow users to use FTP to maintain their personal web site
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@tenor wrote:

This is really a shame.  I don't care to use there slow web upload.  FTP worked fine.  Didn't find out about this until after the fact.  Now I can't get all of my files back.  This is not good business.

Don't you have a copy of your website stored on your hard drive somewhere? If not, you'll have to spider your site to retrieve your content and also remember paths to any hidden files if Verizon doesn't release a method to download your account's data.

0 Likes
jhhorwitz
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's worse than not getting your files back: I don't think you have a way to delete the files already there--SiteBuilder doesn't provide access as far as I could tell. So they are stuck there, using up your "valuable" (ha, ha, ha,...) Verizon web space.

RMchief
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am so ticked off right now I could strangle someone at Verizon. I dowloaded my data from the "free" webpage but the sight still remains. There is no way to connect to it since it was associated with the  FTP server protocol. I have tried for hours and hours to find some way to unpublsih the site. I spent an hour and a half last Friday with one of their tech support guys who did a remote access to my PC and after all that HE gave up and told me to wait 48 hours for the main server to  update. What a crock of *&^%.

Nothing happened. They sent me an email and said to use the Home Assist or some crap like that but it will not download. They also gave me a support link that was for FIOS. I DONT EVEN HAVE FIOS!!!.

Now I have people contacting me that my site is unresponsive and has not been updated for over a week. It is a weather site and with no updates it is useless.

I am so sorry I ever worked for that lousy company. At least I got my retirement so now I can tell them where to go.

Do I sound upset? That does not come close to describing it. !!!

JamB2
Enthusiast - Level 2

The last phone call to Verizon today ended with "There are no plans to replace the ftp" In other words no access to PWS.

I had enough with verizon and contact NJ Consumer Service Center at (973) 504-6200 to file a complaint.

Let verizon know we are not going to take what comes our way.  Make the call, file a complaint. Thanks

Tedm2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Isnt that peachy. I have been fighting verizon now for a week.  Answer I get when I want to delete some info on my site is SORRY!. Its locked and you cant touch it.  Aint that just great.  Just remember.  Verizon isnt the only service out there.

Tedm2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can still see my files by using Cuteftp.  But cant delete or do anything with them. However I can still download them.  You might try that.

Tedm2
Enthusiast - Level 2

RM Chief.  I agree with you. Your message is exactly like mine.  And latest response is as I said below on my message.  I spent hours and hours with them.  And finally.  "Im sorry. sites are locked".  If I could only use site builder and replace my startup page with another that might override it but the new sitebuilder uses index.html  my uploaded one is index.htm so it wont over ride and replace it. 

SeniorGhost
Enthusiast - Level 3

First, a while back, we lost "News Groups", Now we lose the ability to use our web sites.

What next? Maybe web surfing.

What is the ultimate goal?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

To become a "dumb pipe" perhaps? I wouldn't mind Verizon turning their Internet service into a dumb pipe, but I do appreciate the bonuses they give.