VoIP CoS Issue
fenix1792
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been having issues with my VoIP connection lately, and I ran these tests:

http://trippbl2.online.lync.com/

I'm getting a Consistency of Service (CoS) on download speeds of 45-60%, which is quite poor.

Does anyone know what factors into CoS?  I'm pretty sure the problem is external to my residence.

Thank you

0 Likes
Re: VoIP CoS Issue
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The number might be poor depending on the application,  so for voip, your minimum broadband connection link should be 100k total (50k for each direction), and even a 1.5 mb dsl line would be able to handle that.  FiOS connections don't go much lower than 15 now a days, and even 50% consistency would equal 6-7-8 mbs. 

There is a voip test, you can try to see if your connection is good enough:
Test your broadband internet connection for the key components required for VoIP.

That website also has user comments, and responses and they are voip experts and point you in the right direction.  

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Follow up question, what exactly is your issue, and is your device directly connected with ethernet to the verizon router?

0 Likes
fenix1792
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a 75/35 plan that normally gets 84/37'ish on speedtests.

I just have audio drop out, and my Polycom CX700 lync phone regularly displays poor network quality during calls and people can't hear me well when its occuring.  Same thing happens on lync through my laptop, which is where the tests are running from.

I've tried devices directly plugged into my actiontec router, and behind all of my networking gear.  Same results on that Lync test.  My whole house is hardwired with Cisco SG-200 or better small business equipment as well.

Even directly plugged into the actiontec I see a 45-65% "CoS" on downloads result from that test.  I thought it may be the test servers causing it, but I had 2 coworkers in my area, both with FiOS packages (slower than mine actually) run the tests as well.  Both of them get 95% or higher both upload and download, and have no issues.  The difference is their first two or three hops to the server are different than mine. (different sides of metro DC).

Called Verizon yesterday, but the call didn't last much more than 5 minutes.  "Things look good, lets reboot your ONT just in case".

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Well if you're noticing the IP And Gateway (first hop) are what's causing the issue, or at least that's a good working theory, then you might benefit from the following.  It's an attempt at getting you a different network route.

So you would have to log into your home router to do this.How do I login to the Verizon router

Click on MY NETWORK icon at the top.
Select NETWORK CONNECTIONS from the menu on the left.
Select BROADBAND CONNECTION (coax or ethernet) depending on your connection to the ONT.
Click SETTINGS Log into your Verizon Actiontec Router.
Click on MY NETWORK icon at the top.
Select NETWORK CONNECTIONS from the menu on the left.
Select BROADBAND CONNECTION (coax or ethernet) depending on your connection to the ONT.
Click SETTINGS
Click RELEASE
Click APPLY
Disconnect the router immediately to prevent it from re-requesting a DHCP lease. and most importantly leave it off for AT LEAST 5 minutes, preferably ten or more. that way you get a new IP. If you get the same IP then you'll be in the same boat.

you can see what your current IP is and compare it afterwards by going to www.whatismyip.com

fenix1792
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.  I track my public IPs regularly, and I always end up in the same subnet for the last year.  I doubt it will change, but definitely will try.

My coworkers are in a completely different class A, and i'm pretty sure it's expected due to geographic locations.

0 Likes
fenix1792
Enthusiast - Level 2

So...

1.  I got a new IP on a new subnet when I released/renewed.  No change in anything.

2.  The VoIP test you sent is the same software as the link I originally used, but it's a different server.  This one I actually get 88% CoS, which is waaay better, and both give me a MOP score of 4.1 and 4.2 respectively.

It doesn't explain why my coworkers get good scores on the test server I get bad ones on, but at least now I've seen the CoS score correctly going somwhere else.

I've actually escalated to my VoIP support now to see if they can do anything, maybe move me to a different server or something.

Thanks for all the help.

0 Likes