What is this small Verizon box?
Tangible23

I inherited a gigabit Fios system that was once used for Internet, TV, and landline. I don't subscribe to TV, so I've been simplifying the mess of coax, MOCA boxes, etc. to simplify things. I want to get to the point where I can remove the Verizon gateway, and put my own router in its place.

I have one small box (see red arrow) that's connected to the ONT by a thick cable. Can someone tell me what it is, and whether I need it? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What is this small Verizon box?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Tangible23 wrote:

Thanks, VII. I didn’t think there would be wiring behind the backboard, but now it makes sense. 

So then the thin cable with the green plug is the fiber optic, right?

Yes, it's the fiber.

I'm just guessing where the power cable is located.  The picture doesn't show enough detail to confirm it's routing, but since I don't see it anywhere else I'm assuming it must be hidden.  I'm sure if you look closely you can find it.  Note there is a cap you can remove from the bottom side of the power supply to see the connections.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The picture hasn't been approved by the moderators yet.  When it does, I'd be surprised if it isn't the power supply.  It uses a rather thick cable to connect to the ONT.  Does the box have an AC cord, too?

If I'm wrong, the picture will reveal everything.  🙂

Tangible23

I believe the picture is now available. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's the power supply.  Looks like the AC cord goes through a hole in the back board.

Tangible23

Thanks, VII. I didn’t think there would be wiring behind the backboard, but now it makes sense. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Tangible23 wrote:

Yes, it's the fiber.

I'm just guessing where the power cable is located.  The picture doesn't show enough detail to confirm it's routing, but since I don't see it anywhere else I'm assuming it must be hidden.  I'm sure if you look closely you can find it.  Note there is a cap you can remove from the bottom side of the power supply to see the connections.