Re: Which Routers Are MoCA-enabled?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wireless speeds sound right. You should be able to get full 300Mbps if you have 802.11ac capable device and is standing next to the router/extender.

Ethernet speed is a problem. Intel NIC issues would not apply here as hinted by Dexman as checksum offload would slash the upload to 0Mbps. The OP still needs to tell us the NIC model number in order to rule this out completely.

On the other hand, is your CPU at 100% when running the speed test? If any of the cores of the CPU runs at 100% during the speed test, then your computer may be too slow.

Bleb1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for these replies.  Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I think my network adapter is "Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller - Type "Ethernet 802.3."

But I'm more interested in my wireless download speed than in my desktop's ethernet upload speed.  When my 802.11ac-capable laptop is on the 3rd floor, near the adapter/extender, it gets a satisfying 200-250 Mbps. But I typically use it on the 1st floor, one floor above the new router in the basement. And multiple speed tests are topping out at <150 and sometimes <100.  I'm pretty sure it's switching to the 2.4 band, which I assume is related - and which I didn't expect just one floor away from the router.  Is this really the best I can expect?  (My Roku, also on the 1st floor, is reporting "good," rather than "excellent" wireless quality and 123 Mbps.)

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

5GHz signals allow for faster speeds, but are more readily impacted by distance and obstructions.

2.4GHz signals are less impacted by obstructions, but do not support as fast a speed as 5.0.

As a quick test, move the laptop close to the router and run the speed test using 2.4 and 5.0. Then run the tests again from the spot where it is typically used from. Compare the results.

Although overkill, I opted to put an extender on each floor of the house. G3100 router in the basement...E3200 extenders on first floor, second floor and in the attic bedroom. 🙂

Bleb1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, I understand the trade-off between the two bands (speed vs. distance). I guess what I didn't understand is that even a relatively limited distance between router and device is too much for 5.0, leaving one with the slower speed on 2.4.  Verizon won't give me a second extender and I'm reluctant to shell out $200.

Any point in fiddling with router controls (such as assigning a channel rather than leaving it on auto) to boost wireless speeds?

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. Please feel free to open a new thread for further discussion. Thank you.

0 Likes