Re: Why is my DSL connection %95 slower than the rest of the nation?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're correct. My bad for making a mistake like that! The old Westell Diagnostic tool I often pointed out before it went missing worked with both the 2100s as well as the 6110s.

Here's the proper tool for the Westell 2100. There are two models that Westell lists on their website besides the following, one being made for Verizon and one being made for CenturyTel (Now CenturyLink) with the typical support by ISP method.

http://westell.com/support/manufacture-discontinued/b90-210010-04

If the Diagnostic tool completely fails to work on your 2100 since it was made to run on a generic Westell 2100 not offered by an ISP, we need to either find another modem to get the Statistics from, or we need to find someone in Verizon who can provide the Statistics from the DSLAM. Almost every tech if they know how to get the stats should be able to give you a readout of the information from the DSLAM.

TheDream1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Im sorry dslr595148, i meant to say thanks for all this info, IM looking it all over again to see if there was something i missed or misread

0 Likes
TheDream1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Smith Please help me brother. because so far you are the only one who has made any sense.  I have reached the end of my patience with this. There must be some kind of accountability with Verizon isnt there???

I mean month after monrth they are getting paid for service I'm not getting..That must mean something right ??. Did you see what happened  when I called them up???

I did not make that up. That's what really happened. What I didnt say was that I specifically waited till it was late at night like 1 am or so to make that call so I wouldn't be calling during a busy hour. They never called me back. They said they would. I waited up till 4 am maybe later.

The person on the phone did say one thing. Does this mean anything to you?

They said the "problem was in the line itself.."

0 Likes
TheDream1
Enthusiast - Level 3

You have to understand smith, its taking me ten minutes just to come here and see if there is any response, and then i still have to log in to respond. I appreciate everything you have said and done. BUt look at the date i first made this post. IT takes me so long just to get here and log in I dont feel like doing it..

Should i make a huge ad in the LA times?

HEY LOS ANGELES! I USE VERIZON HIGH SPEED INTERNET AND MY CONNECTION WORKS SLOWER THAN 95% OF THE REST OF THE NATION!!

WHY BE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE WHEN YOU CAN CRUISE THE INTERNET AT THE SAME SPEED AS TURBO CHARGED SLUG?

Maybe that will get them new business, and then they can afford to help a slug like me figure out how to run a little faster.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm trying my best to reply to your posts! Like you said I am a pretty busy person so I can't always make it. Lately it seems I've been getting swamped with "Virus Removal" requests for people. There has been this nasty rootkit going around that all of a sudden seems to be infecting people (unpatched PCs ftw >.>).

If Verizon said the problem was with the line itself, then I'm surprised they didn't even give you the statistics or roll a tech to check things on their end. Since this is a sticky problem to solve right now without the modem statistics, here is what you should do to get the ball rolling on this:

1: Ask Verizon to send you a new modem, preferably a Westell 6100 so that we can obtain the modem Statistics, or you can purchase your own modem. The Westell 6100 can be bridged so that it works with your current router setup as it is with the 2100.

2: Once the modem arrives, post up the statistics you see from the modem's web interface. You will need to tell us what model modem you receive if you did not get a 6100.

3: If the statistics turn out to be bad, and a problem with the line itself as Verizon stated generically, we'll proceed with finding ways to fix it.

TheDream1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Smith,  first and foremost. I want to to thank you. I do appreciate everything you have done here. I really do, even though none of it led to anything except the part about restoring my system.

Are you sitting down? I have an answer to all this now, and maybe it will also help you in the future should you ever run into this model of modem again. If that should ever happen, you don't need to do anything except tell the person who is unfortunate enough to have one that there is nothing you can do to help them. Not one thing because its entirely up to them to get a different one.

I was finally able to get a Verizon tech over here, and as soon as he saw it the first thing he said was that, "modem is no good. Its outdated and simply does not work anymore."

When you consider that I called Verizon a few times, and the very most they were able to accomplish over the phone was tell me I have a bad line. Keep in mind, they also knew the model because that was the first thing they asked. And then realize no one had ever told this tech that came over what the model was. If they had, he could have saved himself the trip.

Are we surprised that a communications company like Verizon appears to have a communication problem with in its own system?  I don't think so..lol

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Well, I'm glad to hear (or see, rather) the problem has been resolved. Typically if I do see that a problem is unsolvable by myself, I will try to offer other avenues in getting help or ask others to come in to try and help (not that they can't in a forum! Everyone is free to help), like I did above with getting another modem. In this case, I could have gotten a solution for you if it weren't for some programs suddenly disappearing from the Internet. Honestly I'm shamed by the amount of modems Verizon seems to replace, so while modems do tend to go bad, I never blame them unless there are some obvious, tell-tale signs of a bad modem. That is why I went through all of the trouble to get through the statistics only to say "Get Verizon to give you the stats or get a new modem" in the end. I just hate seeing old, working equipment get tossed out when nothing is to gain using newer gear, as is the case with much of Verizon's DSL network. Sure, if someone is replacing older gear I will suggest newer gear, but ya know...

Now that this is the case, unless I can get my hands on a copy of that old Diagnostic tool I would have to suggest a newer modem, as you're pretty much saying from the way I've read it (and I'll hold it as a promise to do). Often times when modems go bad, they start to show some funny stats as comparison accompanied with slow speeds/packet loss/disconnects or downright lock-ups. Just putting pieces of the puzzle together 🙂 . I have two DSL lines with two different providers. Verizon at 1M/384k and Frontier at 3M/384k. My Verizon modem, the classic Westell 6100 is from when I originally got service. Verizon's messed it up by upgrading the firmware on it so now it likes to lose sync every month, but it's been reliable. On my Frontier service, the original SpeedStream 6520 I had on it worked like a champ. Too bad that had to die in August from a nearby Lightning Strike which seemed to be carried in on the phone lines. A nearby business to me is still using, believe it or not a Westell 2200. They've had and still have some phone line issues which knock the DSL out, but that is an issue on Verizon's end of things. Nothing was at fault with that modem, which has been running 24/7 since day one (YEARS!) and has seen so many power glitches, surges, solar storms (lol), snow storms, and other assortments of modem-killing anomalies along with abnormal room temperatures when the HVAC in the building fails, and it's still going strong with the original firmware. I verified the line problems by using a standard, analog/corded phone and a substitute (brand new) DSL modem I had laying around as a spare.

But you're certainly welcome, wish we would have fixed this up sooner. I do agree support may be a bit lacking in some aspects but what can you do these days.

0 Likes
Tenney56

My problem started in early august 2011.  I have called several times and today the case was closed yet again by someone. Yet the DSL speed at verizon.net/speedtest is still less than 1Mbs. Which is the the standard directed by verizon. net. I have been dilligent with this problem and tech's have been to the house more than a couple of times and point fingers do some magic and then call back later. This is REALLY getting to be frustraing.  No tech has said there is not a problem but say several other people in the area have similar problems yet none are fixed for going on three months now. IS Verizon sending a message about wireline customers? Bad thing they are the only game in town.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could you make a new thread for this issue? I'd like to see what the deal is with that.

@Tenney56 wrote:

My problem started in early august 2011.  I have called several times and today the case was closed yet again by someone. Yet the DSL speed at verizon.net/speedtest is still less than 1Mbs. Which is the the standard directed by verizon. net. I have been dilligent with this problem and tech's have been to the house more than a couple of times and point fingers do some magic and then call back later. This is REALLY getting to be frustraing.  No tech has said there is not a problem but say several other people in the area have similar problems yet none are fixed for going on three months now. IS Verizon sending a message about wireline customers? Bad thing they are the only game in town.

0 Likes