Windows Update through firewall (9100EM router)
RobertSlaven
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Windows Vista (home premium) can't get updates.  I'm trying to troubleshoot, and I've done a lot of things Microsoft suggested, but they're not working.

I found a site that suggests allowing Windows Update to go through ports 80 and 443.  How do I tell my 9100EM to do that?

Or, if you had the same problem and found a different fix, what was your fix?

Thanks!

Robert

0 Likes
Re: Windows Update through firewall (9100EM router)
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RobertSlaven wrote:

My Windows Vista (home premium) can't get updates.  I'm trying to troubleshoot, and I've done a lot of things Microsoft suggested, but they're not working.

I found a site that suggests allowing Windows Update to go through ports 80 and 443.  How do I tell my 9100EM to do that?

Or, if you had the same problem and found a different fix, what was your fix?

Thanks!

Robert

What error code is AU returning when you try to run it?

There should be no need fplaying around with ports in the router for Windows Update to run.  Errors are normally caused by configuration issues on the pc.

RobertSlaven
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's the weird thing.  No error code.

Usually I get an icon in the bottom right that, when I mouse over it, says "Windows can't check for updates".  I try double-clicking on that icon, nothing.  I try right-clicking and then clicking "Open", nothing.  I go into Control Panel and double-click Windows Update, nothing.  It's as if the program crashes right away without even an error code as soon as it tries to run.

I've gone through a bunch of Microsoft KBs, including downloading a malware check, and nothing.  I have VISS, and recently ran a full scan, and nothing.

What else should I look at?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you try running windows update from the Start button?

Alternatively start your browser and enter update.microsoft.com on the address bar, allow the active-x control that tries to run.  Doing it this way should show you if you get an error in the process.

I actually get the same error message on all our w2k8 servers.  For some reason they can't run AU but the manual process will run with no issues.