Re: Xbox Live problems
courtkid1012

I called xbox.  I'm pretty sure it's because of Verizon.  I didn't have any problems with Optimum and now I switch and it messes up.  The thing that **bleep** me off the most with Verizon is how I called them and then before anyone talked to me the first time they just sent me through to Xbox.  This was after I called xbox already.  That's horrrrible customer service and shows how much they care.

If Verizon can't help me then I don't see why I should be a customer and pay for something that doesn't work. 

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Did you update the router's firmware to the current version? I believe the old firmware was not compatible.
0 Likes
courtkid1012
It says no no version available.
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Have you tried pressing in th reset button on the router for 10 seconds? Wait for it to reset then try your x-box to see if it connects.
0 Likes
satoru
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since you do not appear to be getting a DHCP address, the xbox or the wifi on the router are the most likely culprits of your issues. You should try the following to isolate the problem.

1) Connect your xbox360 directly into the router. This will at least show if the router is giving out DHCP properly and if you can connect to Xbox Live. I suspect this will work properly but it's always worth trying.

2) Use a laptop or other wireless device (iPhone or something) to connect to the wifi of the router. This will address whether the actual wifi is working correctly on the router.

3) Reset the xbo360 wireless settings. It might help to remove any existing wireless settings in your xbox360 and start from scratch using the settings from your verizon router.

While you're in the verizon router, I suggest you change the networking settings to something more secure. The default settings are 'better than nothing' but not much better.

0 Likes
courtkid1012

@satoru wrote:

Since you do not appear to be getting a DHCP address, the xbox or the wifi on the router are the most likely culprits of your issues. You should try the following to isolate the problem.

1) Connect your xbox360 directly into the router. This will at least show if the router is giving out DHCP properly and if you can connect to Xbox Live. I suspect this will work properly but it's always worth trying.

2) Use a laptop or other wireless device (iPhone or something) to connect to the wifi of the router. This will address whether the actual wifi is working correctly on the router.

3) Reset the xbo360 wireless settings. It might help to remove any existing wireless settings in your xbox360 and start from scratch using the settings from your verizon router.

While you're in the verizon router, I suggest you change the networking settings to something more secure. The default settings are 'better than nothing' but not much better.

I did that and I think I found the problem. My router doesn't give out DHCP addresses automatically.  How can I change that?

edit: I'm referring to #1.  I plugged it in via ethernet and I couldn't get an IP address other than that 169 one. 

Message Edited by courtkid1012 on 07-30-2009 11:30 AM
0 Likes
courtkid1012
Nevermind, I got it to work with an ethernet, but then I put it into the wireless again and it didn't work.  Now when I go to my router it still says xbox connected via ethernet, but I tested and it didn't work.  In my router I tried to assign a specific IP address to my xbox and when I hooked it into the router it gave it that one, so at least something worked right.
0 Likes