Re: g3100 router dropping out
CloverGirl17
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too recently had to upgrade our internet because both my daughter and I were WOH during Covid.  The wifi kept shutting down.  My wifi on my computer would stay on (most of the time) but everything else (wireless printer, Alexa devices, Ring doorbell, etc.) would ALL go offline.  I could see the "no wifi" logo on my Echo Show!  My printer light would go out, so I knew it was off-line (again).  I've called Verizon too many times to count, have had a new router sent out, but the issues STILL happen.  I have a lot of smart devices in my house, and they all work only for a little while, then the wifi goes back offline.  I have to constantly unplug and replug the router to reset it.  My Ring doorbell worked for a day, and now I cannot get it to go LIVE.  This "upgrade" is nothing more than a huge headache!  I upgraded so we wouldn't have the connectivity issues we're having, and now, when I'm supposed to be perfectly fine because I got the largest memory and upgraded router, all I get is aggravation!  What good is all of the devices if they don't work??  I'm paying more money every month for a WHOLE lot LESS reliability and support.  I am beyond frustrated!!  I am very close to just packing everything up and sending it back.  I was switching to Xfinity and was talked into staying with Verizon with the "much improved" Gig connection!  Not impressed!  Now they want to sell me a wifi extender!  That is the reason I upgraded!  They told me I wouldn't need an extender!  Can ANYONE HELP???  ANYONE??  

0 Likes
CloverGirl17
Enthusiast - Level 2

NO ... THEY ARE USELESS!  I have to reboot my router at LEAST once every hour or two!  Ridiculous!  this is NOT what I signed up for.  

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

For 3 simultaneous HD streamings, 200/200 or 300/300 subscription is more than enough. One HD streaming is about 5-10 Mbps send and receive, so a 200/200 connection can support at least 20 HD streamings simultaneously without issues.

Verizon official tech support are really meant for troubleshooting broadband connections, i.e. from Verizon network to your ONT, then to your router's WAN port. For things beyond the WAN connection of the router, e.g. WiFi to individual devices, adding Ethernet switches, MoCA adapters, and etc., the Forums and the CLs are here to help.

To help solve your problems, can you check some router settings for us? Go to Wireless Settings, and check whether Self-Organizing Network (SON) is turned on (turn it off if it is on). Check WiFi modes, make sure the 802.11ax is not enabled for the 2.4GHz band.

Also, just to mention, switching to Comcast (Xfinity) likely won't improve your situation for two reasons. 1) Their router uses the same WiFi chip as the G3100. If you experience issues with the G3100, given they have the same hardware, you could experience with their routers as well. 2) Comcast's upload is very limited, ranging from 5-35Mbps. You can receive streams from others fine, but you cannot upload streams to others without lagging or throttling.