Caller ID and non Verizon router?
prisaz
Legend

Has anyone had luck getting the caller ID to be passed to the STBs when using a non Verizon router as primary, and the Actiontec as a bridge? I have activated CID on all my boxes and nothing. I really do not wish to tear down my existing configuration to do the testing, only to find out the problem is somewhere else.

0 Likes
Re: Caller ID and non Verizon router?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try temporarily setting once of the STB's as a "DMZ Host" and see if it works on that box?   I don't think the CID stuff requires any inbound port forward -- I think the boxes just connect to a messaging server when configured (outbound) and poll for incoming calls -- however I do see that each of my STB's has an inbound port forward defined on them, so it's conceivable that could be required.   The DMZ host setup would open all ports to that STB and thus let the head end talk to the box and determine if it's a port forward problem or perhaps lies elsewhere.

I don't have Verizon phone service, so I can't test it personally.

0 Likes
Re: Caller ID and non Verizon router?
prisaz
Legend

Thanks for the response lasagna. I know when you request it to be enabled from the STB, it says it takes time. I don't remember how much. I imagine it is like the Remote DVR feature where you need to give Verizon complete control of your network and all the back doors on their router. If that is the case, then no thanks. When I first set up the remote DVR a tech port forwarded to my workstation using the CPE manager. When challenged I was told no I didn't do that, but then when I challenged him a second time he said he was looking to see if I had the HM Software loaded. I asked him what that had to do with the remote DVR. It rather upset me. I guess he wanted to do some file surfing. Tivo runs Remote DVR just fine now. So now I have a secure network and if Verizon needs access, the STB will need to go out and get it. Every inbound and outbound connection is logged, so I know what is going on from where. I suppose I will be CID less unless I am told what ports to forward. Verizon does not give out that information for Remote DVR probably because it has security holes all over it.

What needs to be open for caller ID? Or is that a firmware feature in the router? Or does it only work on MOCA enabled WANs? Any takers on those questions?

0 Likes