Fios Phone Line equipment--constant beeping!!!!!!
fieldarchy

The battery backup for my phone unit in the garage needs to be replaced. Unfortunately, I don't have $50 to do this. When I called Fios Support the guy alluded to a year warranty but didn't offer to have anyone come out and swap out the battery even though I'm on the tail end of my first year. I signed a 2 year contract and it ends in March of 2012 so . . . I stand to reason I had it installed last March . . . and it still being Feb 2011 the battery should still be under warranty?

Anyway, I've silenced the alarm several times because I really don't need the battery back up. Three of us in the house have cell phones. We don't need a working home phone line in the case of a power outage. 

But every so many hours later the beeping starts again. And I can't get it to stop now. And it's really annoying. I can hear it in my room even with 2 doors shut. 

How do I get it to stop?  Like I said, I don't have the money to buy a new battery--nor do I think the customer should be responsible for this expense. Kind of ridiculous . . . I just want the freaking beeping to stop! It really is driving me nuts. It's been going on for days. 

0 Likes
Re: Fios Phone Line equipment--constant beeping!!!!!!
Shamika_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

Hi sorry to hear you are having issues with the battery unit. If you could please follow this link http://www22.verizon.com/onecms/verizonsupport?ID=fieldarchy , and fill out the form.  I would be happy to assist you.

You may also want to try the following steps to see if it will stop the beeping. 

1. Unplug the battery unit

2. Take the cover off of the battery.  By sliding cover to the left or holding in the two tabs at the bottom and lifting the cover off.

3. Disconnect the red or black lead from the battery. After doing this you should not see any lights on the battery unit.

4. Wait 45 seconds

5. Attach the power cord, then the lead, and put the cover back on.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Amazon.com

12 Volt 7 Ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery

Buy new: $14.25

OR 
UPG D5778 Sealed Lead Acid Batteries by Universal Power Group
16 new from $11.95 

Cheapest I have found them.  

Do I have to pay for a replacement battery for my Battery Backup Unit (BBU)?Verizon considers the battery in your BBU as a power source that you own. Much like you would need to replace the batteries in a portable radio from time to time, Verizon does not provide free replacement batteries for your BBU unless:
  • The battery is still under warranty (warranties last for one year).
  • You are currently enrolled in a Verizon Protection Plan .
My battery is under warranty and I am not currently enrolled in a Verizon Protection Plan 
Contact us at 1-888-553-1555 to get a replacement battery sent to you at no charge.

I am currently enrolled in a Verizon Protection Plan 
To get your battery replaced at no additional charge, you'll need to open a claim. Follow the instructions here.

My battery is no longer under warranty and I am not currently enrolled in a Verizon Protection Plan 
The easiest way to purchase a replacement battery is to place an order online . You can also contact Verizon at 1-877-503-3537 to order a new battery over the phone.     

See also:  Why won't Verizon come to my house and replace the battery in the BBU?
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

FYI,  I have found out that just because your Battery Backup Unit has the "Replace Battery" light on, and you get an audible alarm to draw your attention to this fact, it may not necessarily mean the battery has to be replaced.  I have on several occasions had this condition with my FIOS service BBU, and as noted in the article link below, the resolution may be as simple as unplugging the BBU from the electrical outlet, then opening the battery compartment door to allow access to the battery, then unplug your battery terminal from the BBU so that it is not providing backup power.  Leave the battery disconnected for approx 5-10 minutes, then reconnect it to the BBU and put it back in the slot in the BBU box, then plug the electrical power back in to charge the system.  I have found this will eliminate the red light and audible warning signal, and your battery may continue to function fine for many more months/years. As noted in the article, you can also take the battery to have it tested to determine if it is still good, or needs to be replaced.  I suspect there are a lot of good batteries being replaced that don't have to be.  See if this situation applies to you!

http://www.tpcug.org/newsletter/nl_2010/april2010/verizon.htm

above is some great info from another forum user, hope it helps.  

Spoiler2000
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks..It worked!!

This just saved me a lot of time and some $$$$ !!!!.

Nair
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you. I followed your instruction and it worked. I unplugged everything, waited 5 min and connected it back again. The beeping stopped. Hope it lasts few more months. Saved me few bucks for the time being.

flutter1955
Enthusiast - Level 1

This worked fine....unplugged it then disconnected the battery pack. waited 5 minutes, then plugged it back in and so far NO RED light and no more alarm beeping!

marye21

I'm having the same problem and it appears that the solutions provided here provide a temporary fix. Is there a way to permanently get rid of the beeping?

I do not have a land line. From my perspective, this is Verizon's equipment, not mine, and therefore I should not be responsible for maintaining it. They could remove it as far as I'm concerned. However, they will not do that without charging me a fee.

I just want to make the beeping stop permanently. Any suggestions?

0 Likes
jannewilson
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did this myself-seems to be working! Thank you so much for sharing-stupid thing beeping at 3 in the morning!!

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not recommended, buy some have found ways to disconnect the actual beeper.

0 Likes