Had to fix new landline issue myself
Fiosneutral

I recently switched my phone service from Vonage to bundle it wit internet/tv.  Once Verizon activated my phone service and claimed it was working, I had the 'no dial tone' issue.  I called them repeatedly to report it and they kept saying it showed it was working from their offices.  I even asked if all the necessary work had been completed at my home and they said yes.  I did have one technician tell me they probably still need to come out and wire the Verizon box to the existing phone company box.

Finally, a neighbor and I looked at it and saw the problem.  The Verizon box indeed needed to be connected to the phone company box.  We wired it up and it worked.

Why should I have to fix this myself???

0 Likes
Re: Had to fix new landline issue myself
larryw9999
Contributor - Level 1
Doesn't make sense. What are the specifics of the bundle? Did you get FiOS phone, internet and tv service or a copper landline, high speed internet and directtv service? Any new service activation involves a verizon technician coming to your home, making any wiring connections needed and confirming that your service is working. This doesn't make much sense.
0 Likes
Fiosneutral

Well, Larry, that's exactly what happened.  I already had FiOS TV and Internet and decided to bundle my phone b/c of the cost savings.  They made the switch from Central Office and said it should be working.  I tried my phones, no dial tone, nothing.

I called to report it several times and all tech's I spoke with called the house and said, yep I got your voice mail so it must be the wiring inside your house.  They even said they reset the port and for me to try again when I got home.

Tried again and still nothing.  The one tech guy did say the tech needed to come back out and wire the V box to the phone company box.  All others said either it wasnt necessary OR that it had already been done.

So, my neighbhor and I looked at it, noticed there was no connection b/t the V box and the phone box, and made that connection.  Soon as we did, it worked and has been.

Can't help it doesnt make sense to you, but its truth.  I've also been stood up 3 separate times by V's tech's not coming to my house.

0 Likes
larryw9999
Contributor - Level 1

Well, now it makes sense. Verizon definitely dropped the ball. If you ordered FiOS phone at the same time you ordered either internet and/or tv, the technician would have connected the V box (ONT) to the small box outside your home that connects to the inside phone wiring in your home. It's unfortunate that you had to do it yourself to correct this.

Maybe this post will help others who find themselves in this situation... adding fios phone after having fios tv or internet. Other Verizon employees also watch these posts and will keep in mind that techs need to be aware of these cases.

larry

0 Likes
westom
Contributor - Level 1

@Fiosneutral wrote:

Tried again and still nothing.  The one tech guy did say the tech needed to come back out and wire the V box to the phone company box.  All others said either it wasnt necessary OR that it had already been done.

Customer reps only have a list of diagnostic checklists.  Any variation from that checklist (ie a wire that is supposed to be connected but is not) means they can do little but reread the checklists.   Appreciate the problem. Its not customer reps.  Its the people who are their bosses.  The boss is responsible for attitude and knowledge.  If the customer rep is missing either, the boss is where that problem resides.   Notice how the bosses protect themselves from getting blamed or from admitting where most all problems are created.

If that wire was missing, then the tech should have sufficient training to know that - to know that human failure could mean that problem exists.  But the customer rep could only do what his boss instructed.

Why does voicemail, that is stored in the CO, mean something in your building is connected?

0 Likes