Re: Stir Shaken not working on home FIOS line, multiple robo calls a day
sprkvz137

dexman, just checked the tech tips link you posted, no help for here.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Correct about Stir/Shaken working on Packet Switch and Digital Switch service.

A call or click to Verizon Support can be done, but, I'm not sure what options are available through them.

Speaking only for myself, I'm leery about going the independent IP telephone route. I'm more of a traditionalist. 🙂

sprkvz137

You may or may not know this, was wondering with IP based calling if all incoming international calls on a line can be blocked, where majority of robo calls come from?  I know on the old copper system that could be done as I had a situation in the 1990s where charged much for some ncoming calls from Mexico and Bell Atlantic easily put that block in to waive the charges. With IP, would an international block also block outgoing international calls?  The only international calls made on her line is if she called a USA company's 800 support number and the call is routed to say a call center in India.  If so, not a problem to use het cell phone to make that call.  I know probably onerous with IP to do this, but only practical option for customer sanity can think of if Stir Shaken will not work on the line.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Because of Caller ID spoofing, it would be difficult to discern between calls that originate domestically vs ones that originate internationally. VoIP providers might have some tricks up their sleeves, but, if everything hinges off of an updated & accurate LIDB, success could be spotty.

sprkvz137

Very sad to say, in calling Verizon tech support by phone 1-800-837-4966 (VERIZON) hardly offered any further help here with the problem.  Tech rep with a NY accent who spoke with said he worked for Verizon over a dozen years, claimed he never has heard of Stir Shaken, and he and a close relative still dealing much with robocalls.  He only knew about call filtering (limited to 100 numbers), Nomorobo, and Do Not Call list already mentioned in posts in this thread.  He would not offer any further assistance and was told to just deal with the problem.  Apparently, whoever has Stir Shaken working for them are lucky and the rest of us are not, despite the hope that company releases give such as https://www.verizon.com/about/news/over-78-million-verizon-customers-protected-over-13-billion-unwan...

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

My understanding is that STIR/SHAKEN is geared towards cell phones.

You can use NOMOROBO.

If she has calls not being passed through, you can log in to NOMOROBO and denote their number as legitimate.

I have used NOMOROBO for several years now and have never had a legitimate call blocked.