Trying to cancel land line after 45 yrs.
hankpage
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have moved and want to cancel my land line and dsl. I HAVE BEEN ON HOLD FOR OVER FOUR HOURS IN THE PAST TWO DAYS. Is the only way to cancel service to not pay the bill and wait for Verizon to cancel. I would also like to know where I can return my 25 yr. old dsl modem????? The sad thing is that in 45 yrs. I have never had a single problem that Verizon has not solved promptly. Have they really gone this far down hill??? Not Happy, hankpage

0 Likes
Re: Trying to cancel land line after 45 yrs.
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi hankpage,

You can cancel service Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 6:00 pm (ET) by calling 1-844-837-2262.

0 Likes
hankpage
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, that is where I spent 4 hours on hold. Found another number but that was a dead line. But thanks for the reply.

hankpage
Enthusiast - Level 2

Day three of trying to cancel:

After only eight minutes on hold a very pleasant and efficent young lady from Virginia answered and quickly took my info and canceled my service. This is how I think Customer service should be. Leaving a customer on hold for hours without offering a call back is not acceptable especially for a phone company. JM2¢, hankpage

0 Likes
akinney19

God bless you, I'm on hour three... 

Horrible CS.

I'm done with Verizon!

0 Likes
RandybellMD
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had to just stop paying.  Then they contacted me and threateded to turn off the phone.  And I said "Good, that is what I have been trying to do for 6 months"    

Re: Trying to cancel
LoisDE
Enthusiast - Level 1

Health insurers frequently make it so hard to process valid claims that people simply give up and forgo payment that they are rightfully owed. Similarly, Verizon is not at all interested in making it easy to cancel service so that they can keep billing you until you manage to get them on the line to cancel. And then they stubbornly try to sell you some other kind of service and convince you not to cancel. Think about it - if Verizon can delay cancellation for even just one month for all those that want to cancel, that's a significant amount of money that they should not have a right to bill for. Verizon should facilitate cancellation online just like they facilitate bill paying online as well as selling for more service. This footdragging on cancellation is not to different from what Wells Fargo was doing, charging customers for service they don't want.

Magg901
Enthusiast - Level 2

As LoisDE mentions, it is an effective strategy.

My cable company, which is really an enclosed pit of vipers with sulfur gas rising from it, does the same thing.

The company wins two ways:

1. They save money by deliberately understaffing the call center.
2. They make MORE money by delaying your cancellation as a result of number 1.

They can't lose.

I was on hold with my cable company for THREE HOURS trying to downgrade my service because I decided that, after they removed SIXTEEN PREMIUM CHANNELS (no joke) from my lineup, it certainly was NOT worth paying the high monthly fee.  And then they were annoyed that I unleashed a torrent of profanities onto them.