Data Usage
grinnersmom
Enthusiast - Level 1

When I go to load a web page it can take 10-20 minutes. I use a Hotspot. I am wondering if this will use my data quicker, you know waiting for pages to load?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
18 Replies
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

grinnersmom,

That's a long time to load a page. We want to make sure you're getting better service than that. The page that is being loaded is the same size no matter how long it takes so unless the loading stops and has to start over the amount of data should be the same no matter how long it takes. I'm still concerned it is taking so long though. When did that start? Do others have the same trouble there?

AndrewT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

grinnersmom
Enthusiast - Level 1

Its been slow for as long as I have owned a hotspot. But the last 4-6 months it has been horribly slow. My daughter has the same trouble when she is home. Also, and I just remembered this, when I have my hotspot on it will come up as 3G or 4g depending on the day. Don't know if this has anything to do with or not. I hope we can figure this out too.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's definitely too long to be dealing with this issue grinnersmom. We want to be sure to speed your data service up. John provided some great suggestions. Were you able to check to see what data speeds you are getting http://bit.ly/1ZDHbAp ? What is the zip code where you are having trouble?

RashadM_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

grinnersmom, Let's continue on the path towards faster data. What is your zip code? You said that your daughter also has issues there, does she have Verizon Wireless? Do the other 2 cellphones on the account have slow data at this location? Does their speed improve outside?

JoelR_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
grinnersmom
Enthusiast - Level 1

my zip code is 66710. the jetpack and the 2 cellphones are at this zip code. yes they are just as slow. there is only one good spot in our house where we can get a signal for cell phones or jet pack.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Data usage is not directly tied to the length in time it takes to download that particular content.  If it takes longer to download 20 MB then its still only 20 MB when it finishes.  However, people tend to observe that they use less data with slower connections purely based on convenience.  Its easier to surf around with a fast connection versus a slow one which is why you may observe higher data usage when the speeds are higher.

A web page taking 10 minutes or longer to load is the real problem here.  Confirm your Verizon Device and if you are on an unlimited plan or not. We can suggest resets and other quick steps to try and improve performance from there.

0 Likes
grinnersmom
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon Jetpack® 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi6620L : that is the device I have for my internet and I do not have unlimited data for it or the 2 cell phones that are on the same plan.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Thanks for the confirmation.  This is not normal behavior for a Jetpack or a device that is connected over 4G LTE.  Your Jetpack is showing the icon for 4GLTE when its connected right?  If so then there may be something temporary that you can clear with a reset.  Otherwise the problem may be hardware related and require warranty support to resolve.

Lets start with the various resets:

1. Power Cycle the Jetpack and try again

2. Power down, remove SIM, sit for 60 seconds, reassemble and try again

3. Power up, remove back cover, press the RESET button with a paper clip for 15-30 seconds, reassemble and test

If the problem persists after these resets then consider contacting VZW for warranty support.  Go to speedtest.net and run a few tests to collect information on how slow the connection is.  Reference those numbers and the connection speed indicated on your Jetpack when you call it in.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ginnersmom,

We want you to have the best experience possible with your Hotspot device. Let's continue to work together. What devices (tablets ,computer, etc...) do you currently have connected to your device? Have you tried placing the mobile hotspot in a different area in an attempt to receive better speeds?

CoreyM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
grinnersmom
Enthusiast - Level 1

mostly I run a laptop and a kindle off the jet pack. yes we have tried different areas in our house to get better signals.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for sharing all of those details with us today grinersmom. We’re not showing any reported outages in the area. You mentioned that all of your devices were slow at home. Do your cell phones get better service away from your home? If so, how far must you travel before service improves?

JosephE_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
grinnersmom
Enthusiast - Level 1

we live on a hill in a valley where the valley sides are taller than the hill my house is on. the cell phones and jet pak usually work better away from home. I would say we have to get at least a mile away to get better service.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

grinnersmom,

I appreciate the details. Let's dive deeper into this. Were you able to complete the steps John provided previously? If so, did you see an improvement? What other troubleshooting steps have you already done? I don't want to repeat any previous troubleshooting you've already completed.

JuanD_VZW

0 Likes
grinnersmom
Enthusiast - Level 1

As for John's steps, I have tried taking out the sim card for 60 seconds.  At first I thought that had helped it stay in 4G, but alas this week it has reverted back to 3G a couple of times. I haven't tried the the reset button yet.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
grinnersmom, Your data service experience is important to us. We regret that you've had such challenges. You indicated that there was a good spot in your home for data connections. Is this where you have your Jetpack placed? Please reply to the Private Message that I sent you, so we can dive deeper into your data speeds.

JoelR_VZW

0 Likes
grinnersmom
Enthusiast - Level 1

I tried the reset button after the hotspot repeatedly showed 3G. It went back to 4G. I feel like these are only temporary fixes. Sorry to everyone for being slow answering. I am not always online and I like to give the help ideas a couple of days to see if it worked.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I'm glad to hear the reset but had an impact on the problem.  If resets are necessary to obtain a proper connection there is a possibility the device is defective. 

The next step would require you to try and obtain some wireless statistics from the Jetpack for us.  This information will help us evaluate if the device or the service on your area is a larger concern.  The information we are looking for is called RSSI.  You can find this information on the diagnostics screen of your Jetpack.  Observe and record this number for a period of time and report the highest, lowest and average numbers that you see.

There is a great guide on looking up and analyzing RSSI from the 3GStore here:

https://3gstore.com/page/13_will_an_antenna_help_me.html

Based on the RSSI we should be able to determine if the device is defective or not. This information will help you contact Verizon and work through the warranty or replacement process.  However based on your previous posts I believe you mentioned the Jetpack functions fine in different areas.  Its likely the Jetpack is doing the best it can with the signal in your area and there may not be anything the Jetpack itself can do to improve those results.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

>we live on a hill in a valley where the valley sides are taller than the hill my house is on. the cell phones and jet pak usually work better away from home.

Your cellular performance is greatly impacted by the surrounding environment.  Living in a valley is going to make consistent cellular performance a concern as it implies there is already poor cellular tower coverage due to all the geological obstructions.  In order for the radio waves to make it to your home, let alone penetrate into the home where you plan to use the service you are going to need ideal conditions.  And then there's seasonal obstructions like tree foliage, interference from other radio sources and lots of other opportunities for the Verizon service to have a hard time making it to your home and back.

Something you can look into as an alternative would be a powered antenna mounted on an personal tower that raises up above your home and funnels the service down into your home.  This is not a service that Verizon offers or can assist you with.  However, chances are there are companies in your area that can provide quotes and explain the various options if you if this isn't something within your skill set.  You likely are not the only person in this situation and some neighbors may already have something rigged up.

>  I would say we have to get at least a mile away to get better service.

As long as the Jetpack performs normally under these conditions then we can conclude your issues are service related and not something we can improve from the Jetpack alone.  Either wait and hope that VZW places a tower in a better position for your home or explore setting up your own tower setup to better receive the VZW signals in that area.

0 Likes