Extender dropping calls
Mrnyc011
Newbie

Good Morning all. I have had xfinity wifi with the extender connected and everything worked fine. This week I received a new wifi tower. Plugged the extender in and now after 10 mins of talking the calls just drops. I will redial and we talk about 10 mins and call again drops. It has to be the extender with the new wifi tower. Is there some type of setting I need to do to fix this? Please help

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Reply
13 Replies
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@Mrnyc011 wrote:

Good Morning all. I have had xfinity wifi with the extender connected and everything worked fine. This week I received a new wifi tower. Plugged the extender in and now after 10 mins of talking the calls just drops. I will redial and we talk about 10 mins and call again drops. It has to be the extender with the new wifi tower. Is there some type of setting I need to do to fix this? Please help


Which model network extender do you have?  What is it plugged into providing the broadband internet access?  What is the 'xfinity wifi' tower you refer to?  If you dial #48 does it confirm you're under network extender coverage or not?  Do you have WiFi calling activated?

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
Reply
Mrnyc011
Newbie

It is the newest 4g extender model. It does confirm I am connected when I dial #48. But the calls still drop. 

0 Likes
Reply
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@Mrnyc011 wrote:

It is the newest 4g extender model. It does confirm I am connected when I dial #48. But the calls still drop. 


What model phone(s) are having the issue for you?  There have been numerous threads recently reporting this issue with Samsung Galaxy and iPhone models.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
Reply
Mrnyc011
Newbie

Me and my wife have samsung s8 and S8 plus. We were having the problem before we switch over to new wifi though. Should I facorty reset the extender?

0 Likes
Reply
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@Mrnyc011 wrote:

Me and my wife have samsung s8 and S8 plus. We were having the problem before we switch over to new wifi though. Should I facorty reset the extender?


Not sure if a reset would help.  I don't recall if that helped any of the other users with issues in the other threads.  What 'new wifi' are you referring to as the extender should have NOTHING to do with WiFi except it might be connecting to a router (which also has WiFi capabilities) for ethernet connected internet access.  There may have been references in the other threads of phone software updates that might have helped.  I would ensure you have up-to-date software including your phone app if that can be checked.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
Reply
Mrnyc011
Newbie

Yeah I tried resetting the extender...didn't work. I upgraded my internet and have a different router. Was working fine with other router. That's the only thing that changed. I will try phone updated...not sure if there is a extender update

0 Likes
Reply
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@Mrnyc011 wrote:

Yeah I tried resetting the extender...didn't work. I upgraded my internet and have a different router. Was working fine with other router. That's the only thing that changed. I will try phone updated...not sure if there is a extender update


Could be the new router (what make/model is it?) has a setting(s) that is affecting calls.  There could be some sort of timeout causing the data session handling the phone call to be dropped.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
Reply
Mrnyc011
Newbie

Thanks... I downloaded a new phone app. Havent tried it yet. I guess my next step is to try logging onto the router and check some settings. I appreciate all your help friend.

0 Likes
Reply
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mrnyc011, 

 

We are here if you need us. Please let us know once you check these settings. 

 

JenelleW_VZW

 

 

 

0 Likes
Reply
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I apprecaite you taking the steps that you have. Here is a link to match up your new router settings with the NEtwork Extedner requirements: http://spr.ly/6601HXr71. Also here is a link to specifically check the needed open ports and IP address options: http://spr.ly/6602HXr7G

0 Likes
Reply
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for those details, Mrnyc011. Before we go about resetting the extender, have you reset your new router yet? Before the issue started, had you made any changes to your devices? -GregL_VZW

0 Likes
Reply
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, Mrnyc011. We can see you've had a promising conversation with jav6 since our comment to you. It seems as if you are on the path to correcting this, and you have taken excellent steps so far. One thing I want to ask about or point out. Are you using Wi-Fi calling or "regular" calling when using the Network Extender? The Network Extender provides for "regular" calling, and so if you have Wi-Fi calling also enabled, that may be the cause of the dropped calls. Please keep us updated on what happens with that new phone app as well as any other changes you make that improve things with the Network Extender.

 

GeorgeS_VZW

0 Likes
Reply
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good Morning, Mrnyc011. We're sorry to hear you've been experiencing dropped calls since your Wi-Fi equipment was changed. We definitely want to ensure your Network Extender is working properly to support your calls. Does this happen on all calls? Does the phone show you are connected to the Network Extender when the call is in progress? Does this happen on more than one phone? Have you attempted to reset your home Wi-Fi device?

 

DanielleR_VZW

0 Likes
Reply