Verizon Jetpack MiFi 7730L battery so swollen the back popped off and won’t stay on??
Sbare13
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon Jetpack MiFi 7730L battery so swollen the back popped off and won’t stay on?? I have noticed recently that the signal has not been as good as it used to be as well. What do I do? 

Labels (1)
17 Replies
jwade72
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue with my battery. I've also have a problem that I will be posting about later, when I turn on the device it comes up, connects to 4G LTE, then about a minute later drops connection, can't find service, then fines 3G and stays there, or goes to 1x. It never connects bac to 4G LTE unless I plug the battery to reboot it.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jwade72, this is concerning that your battery is swollen as well as connection drops. Let's get this figured out. If the battery is swollen, you will need to take the device to a retail store location. To find the closest store location click here http://spr.ly/6603EmFp3. AlbertoR_VZW

0 Likes
jimmieanna
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had good luck buying a replacement battery off Amazon. It wasn't that expensive, I think about 17.00 or so?

krogentech
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sounds like the battery is failing. It may die completely on you soon. I had to get a new jetpack when it happened to me. I would caution that it could also be a potential fire hazard, depending on the battery you have, if you leave it on the charger.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sbare13, 

Your safety is of the utmost importance to us so hearing that the battery on your Jetpack 7730L has swollen so drastically is a cause for concern. Please take your jetpack, battery and any charging equipment to the Verizon owned location nearest you for evaluation and assistance. The store closest to you can be located using this link http://vz.to/1KvL5Yz. 

ShawnteJ_VZW

jodyru
Enthusiast - Level 1

Mine is only 11 months old so I took it too my local Verizon Store. They could not exchange the battery or even sell me a new one, they could exchange the unit, but without a battery... ?? They said they DO NOT DEAL with the batterys ... And told me to call Verizon. So I did, was on the phone for just a bit over 1 1/2 hours. And you guessed it. They could not send be a battery, even though they sell them from the site. They MIGHT be able to reimburse me if I paid for another battery.....   So needless to say I went to ebay found one for under $20 and am NOT even gonna hassle with Verizon for a dime, Im sure it would take hours of my time on the phone to do so. I will be so happy when my contract runs out and I can move onto a better cheaper service and NOT deal with the very poor service I have had with Verizon.

DENJOH99
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not surprised. It's the reason why I've not bothered calling or going to a verizon store. So disappointed.

jvescio
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same here .. So either i continue using and start a fire potentialy or spend the 20.00 and get a new one. 

Too Bad you cant run these plugged in with out battery..  Stupid design

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh my goodness, sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with a swollen battery on your Jetpack, jvescio. Help is here. We take your safety very seriously. We would recommend that you immediately discontinue use of the Jetpack and take it to the nearest corporate store for evaluation. You can find the closest corporate store here: http://spr.ly/66021Du4g Make sure to select filters and then "Verizon Company Store" after the search to find a corporate store. Does this clarify?

RyanM_VZW

0 Likes
BradleyP
Enthusiast - Level 1

Your reply to all of our problem with the battery swelling to the point of exploding does very little to help us. I did take  mine to my Verizon store. I was thinking I was going to do them a favor, by letting them know their might be a problem with the device they are selling. The guy I met as I entered asked to help me but when I showed him the swollen battery he just blurted out that "we don't warranty the batteries on anything and that it would not explode or catch fire" (neither of witch is true) it most defiantly would have exploded had I not removed it. He also said they don't sell replacement batteries and the problem was my fault for leaving it plugged into AC power. (no where in the setup instructions does it say not to do this) I felt like punching him in his face for being such an butt to me. I decided to finish my contract and start looking for a better service provider that will give me more support than smug  lip service. At least a company as large and profitable as Verizon should try to be more proactive about their customers safety. At least try to keep their customers happy and paying Verizon's high prices.

Philip.

[email address removed per the Verizon Terms of Service]

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sorry to learn about your experience, Philip. The last thing we want is to lose you as a customer. At what store did this happen? 

UbaldoJ_VZW

0 Likes
yourwaistingmytime
Enthusiast - Level 1

based on my issues, and the length and input on this thread from alot of your concerned paying customers.... all of your stores.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I apologize for the situation. Please tell me more about what happened whenyou took your device to a corporate store. YaleK_VZW

0 Likes
jrwaits2
Enthusiast - Level 1

BradleyP my mifi also did same.  My contract isn't up for 5 months.  I fixed the problem though.  I'm cancelling my contract and going with AT&T and purchasing the Netgear Nighthawk.  I've worked too hard for what I have to have it all go up in smoke because of a faulty battery.  When a company is VERY aware of a safety issue and fails to compensate or correct the problem then I will no longer purchase their plan.  The would appear the dollar is more important than lives.

TERIGAIL1972
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have this same issue. I use this for work only because I can't get internet where I live. I am scared to use it but I have to because it is the only way I can work when I am on call.

rdsantan
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you keep your phone on a charger and essentially over-charge it it will internally explode and
push the back or the front off.  My apple phone popped it's screen on one side.

0 Likes
musicdoctordj
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've read all of the reponses to this question from everyone that has had this issue, plus the ones from the 'customer service representative' and my story is very similar, yet very different.

Sorry for it being so long...but please read to the end!

First, to the Verizon person that has been responding, you might as well stop trying to cover up this issue as the Verizon stores just blow steam up our rear ends when we try to talk to them in the stores.

In otherwords...the stores are basically useless and the people in the stores are pretty much clueless!

I have two months left on my Verizon contract...have been with Verizon for 15 years...but will be leaving once this two months is up!

I purchased my Mifi 7730L in January of 2018, and by September of 2018 the battery bloated just like the others, blew the back off of it and it actually popped off of the dest on to the floor!

I went to three different Verizon stores trying to buy a new battery...and none was available (because they were all junk and sold out as everyone with the same device was having this same issue).

And I also was given the 'battery not covered under warranty' by all three Verizon stores, plus several customer service reps on the phone.

I argued that my Mifi device was only eight months old and had a ONE YEAR MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY through at least five supervisor requests, and since Verizon could not sell me a new battery that they should replace my unit under warranty.

Well, one of those escalated supervisors finally did decide to replace my unit...and when it arrived two weeks later, guess what...it was a refurbished unit with a used battery!

OK...that battery lasted about three months and I've bought three more batteries from various internet outlets (since Verizon still does not have any original equipment batteries to sell).

The second to last battery I bought back in August of 2019 (ie.- three months ago) and I got about a month out of it and it swelled up and actually tossed the 7730L about four feet in the air and across the living room from my desk and scared the heck out of my cats!

OK...so I ordered another battery from Walmart.com that has a one year warranty on it, plus I was able to purchase a two year Walmart extended warranty on the battery.

So the new battery arrived and I've had it about three weeks...

It will not charge, but the Mifi device is working plugged in through the battery, but is now starting to swell up.

I have contacted the manufacturer and seller of the new battery (Beltron) three times about this battery...but they have not repsponded to any of my requests.

So...there you have it...

I'm thoroughly discusted with Verizon as they don't seem to care about their loyal customers that have been spending top dollar for their wireless service for years...

And all they seem to do is give us lip service.

And blow us off with no satisfaction to our issues with the devices they choose to sell us.