Can I text in Japan without additional charges?
PATNEI29

Planning to travle to Japan in October.  Can the Samsung S7 text to another verizon S7 without additional charge or plans?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Texting in Japan with S7 phone
Weth
Legend

You will get international texting charges, potentially very expensive international data usage, and pay for any phones calls that may come in. I would never travel without adding a plan, since costs can quickly climb out of control (think thousands of dollars in surprise bills we have seen).

You would want to either add TravelPass, which lets you use your plans data, calls, text for $10 per day, or a 30 day plan for $40 which gets you 100 text messages out (unlimited in), 100 minutes calling in or out, and 100 MB of data,with overage of $25 per 100 MB

If you don't add a plan (and again DON"T DO THIS), texting is 50 cents out and 25 cents in, calls $1.79 to $2.99 per minute, and data is $2,050 per gigabyte.

View solution in original post

Weth
Legend

You will get international texting charges, potentially very expensive international data usage, and pay for any phones calls that may come in. I would never travel without adding a plan, since costs can quickly climb out of control (think thousands of dollars in surprise bills we have seen).

You would want to either add TravelPass, which lets you use your plans data, calls, text for $10 per day, or a 30 day plan for $40 which gets you 100 text messages out (unlimited in), 100 minutes calling in or out, and 100 MB of data,with overage of $25 per 100 MB

If you don't add a plan (and again DON"T DO THIS), texting is 50 cents out and 25 cents in, calls $1.79 to $2.99 per minute, and data is $2,050 per gigabyte.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

You could also get a SIM from a Japanese carrier and pop it in your phone. You will not be using your regular number and will have a Japanese number. What you do get is cheaper mobile data and you will be able to use WhatsApp to send messages to other WhatsApp users. This is a great way to stay in touch while traveling. I would also check into Advanced Calling with the WiFi calling capabilities. You can turn your phone into Airplane Mode and connect to WiFi and make calls and send texts and it may not rack up all the international charges.