Charged $400+ for int’l calls when Cellular & Roaming was OFF
QuaziFawad

I recently travelled out of states. I am not a first time traveler. As soon as I rode in plane I turned off cellular & roaming. During my entire trip I used Wifi for call & text. I received bill with additional $411.02. Which is for calls on carrier for 4 specific days. I remember correctly that when I landed back in states after 45 days, it was the time when I turned Cellular ON.
I have been on chat and contact us link with several agents since I received my bill.  Agents say “your phone might have lost wifi and got connected to cellular and these are legit charges “ how on earth this can happen. Does phone settings have power to change on its own. I want these charges to be taken away from my account. Please i need help. I wish i was taking screenshots everyday that see I’m on Wifi only. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Charged $400+ for int’l calls when Cellular & Roaming was OFF
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@QuaziFawad ,

It's great to know that you had been traveling recently. While I'm sorry to hear that your international usage was that high, have you been able to check your bill to see what makes up those charges? You also said that you had already contacted us on this, and they had found it was your data usage, is that correct? While your phone does not make changes on its own, hotel Wi-Fi can time out after a period of time, which is why if you want to truly deny all international usage then placing the phone into airplane mode or even removing the SIM card would block all potentials for a mobile connection to occur. -Russell

0 Likes
sk55

Verizon did the same thing to me. I didn't turn on roaming and used a diff SIM card for that country I was visiting and they charged me for 18 days. It's ridiculous. They keep saying they sent me a message, but I was on a different SIM card and roaming was turned off so I really don't understand. Now I'm paying for a service that didn't even get to take advantage of or get to enjoy. AT&T maxes out your monthly pass at 10 days for you pay $100 max per month for international. Verizon charged me for every single day at $180. I'm definitely switching carriers as soon as a I can. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there! I'm saddened to hear you had an undesirable experience after traveling. To avoid International fees on your device, you would want to be sure it is in Airplane mode.

https://www.verizon.com/support/international-travel-faqs/

Please send a private message for account-specific help today. 

-Carter

0 Likes