Checked "Deny data roaming" whilst in the UK but still charged for data.
rslee00

I recently was in the UK and didn't want to be charged for data usage (I could easily get data from WiFi hotspots).    On my Samsung S7 phone I selected "Deny data roaming" option and thought I was good to go........ until I got $50 travel pass fees put onto my account.  I was expecting one day of travel pass for a phone call I made but not the other 4 days.   I called Verizon customer service to complain only to be told that Deny data roaming is not enough - you also have to turn off all mobile data.   The operator credited me $20 but that still let me $20 which I did not use.

My question is : This is really misleading - deny data roaming should either do what it says or be changed.  Verizon customer service attitude was - it is your fault because you didn't call us before you left (which I didn't because "deny data roaming" seemed quite clear).   I like Verizon but being treated like that just makes me want to find another service provider (when I told that to the operator I was told all the other operators would do the same thing).

Thanks Verizon.   

0 Likes
Re: Checked "Deny data roaming" whilst in the UK but still charged for data.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Travel Pass is charged for when you use your phone for calls, texts or data in a country besides the USA. Did you use the phone for text messages or calls during the trip?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rslee00

I made a phone call on the first day (which was why I was expecting 1 day of travel pass).  Why does selecting "deny data roaming" not stop all data?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The only sure way I know to prevent usage is keeping the phone in Airplane Mode.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
intermedx

It doesn't denly all data, because that only denies "Roaming Data." Truthfully, this is not Verizon's fault, but a lack of understanding how the system works. In the grand scheme of things, $20 is nothing and appreciarte the freedom that cell phones give you. It used to be you had to wait hours to make an international call through an operator. Welcome to the new Milenium.

0 Likes