Cruise ship calls
JAMDON3

I am going on a cruise to Bermuda.  What is necessary to make calls & text from the ship & Bermuda?

0 Likes
Re: Cruise ship calls
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That sounds like an amazing trip, JAMDON3. I know firsthand how important it is to know what you will need to do to make sure you're able to make calls and send text messages on your trip. I am happy to go over some details with you. Below is a link to our interactive trip planner. Here you will be able to enter your destination or cruise ship and type of device and get all the details you will need for your trip:
http://spr.ly/6587D4Qyz
I hope this helps and you have a great trip.

Greg_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
pzjagd1
Contributor - Level 3

Just returned from a cruise on Royal Caribbean. With the phone in airplane mode and using the ship wifi, we made several calls with wifi calling enabled. Of course, you have to pay for a wifi plan on the ship. You could do the same, if you find a wifi hotspot in Bermuda.

JMP5

We were on a cruise in early November.  I had contacted Verizon both in person and online to find out what I needed to do for making phone calls.  They told me to add the travel pass and only use my phone while on the ship. (We had paid for the ships wifi.)  Verizon still charged me for the international calls made on the ship through the wifi!!  They stated that I should have turned the cellular portion of the phone off.  Never did anyone tell me this.  They claim that my phone was connecting to the regular service and that is why I was charged.  Connectin to what in international waters????  As usual, they say one thing and charge you for everything!!  

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@JMP5 wrote:

We were on a cruise in early November.  I had contacted Verizon both in person and online to find out what I needed to do for making phone calls.  They told me to add the travel pass and only use my phone while on the ship. (We had paid for the ships wifi.)  Verizon still charged me for the international calls made on the ship through the wifi!!  They stated that I should have turned the cellular portion of the phone off.  Never did anyone tell me this.  They claim that my phone was connecting to the regular service and that is why I was charged.  Connectin to what in international waters????  As usual, they say one thing and charge you for everything!!  

Cruise ships have satellite cellular services. those services are extremely expensive.   $3 per minute and $6.05 per mb of data 

you were supposed to leave your phone in airplane mode

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

You did the exact opposite.  Travel pass works in most countries but not shipboard. You needed to be in airplane mode all the time on the ship.  If you get ship wifi plan you can do wifi calling but not cellular calling. 

you asked, Connectin to what in international waters???? 

the ship as its own cellular transmitters and communicates through satellite.  It is very expensive to use the ships cellular service as you did.  

0 Likes