Data Overages when Out of Country
DONWIT98

I got a $325 bill for about three days of normal use of my phone in Australia after paying $85 for a month of International plan.  Turns out I had not turned off roaming for all my apps on my IPhone.  Of course, there were no warnings about that when I signed up for the International plan.  What a ripoff!  Expensive lesson.  AT&T is probably just as bad.

0 Likes
Re: Data Overages when Out of Country
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DONWIT98, we understand how alarming it can be to receive a much higher bill than expected after traveling. Please allow us to further investigate the details of your concern. Can you please let us know if you had received any text alerts pertaining to the usage? Also, I would like the opportunity to dig deeper into this matter. I have sent you a private message. Please respond to that message, thank you.

SylviaT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Re: Data Overages when Out of Country
rcschnoor
Legend

First of all, I don't see any international plan which has a cost of $85/month. The warnings are right there in the plan descriptions. If you use more than the allowed usage, you are charged for the overages at the listed rate. Verizon's available international plans for Australia are as follows:

$10/day and you get to use your own plans talk/text/data allowances.

$40/Month which gives you the following:

100 minutes

100 sent messages

Unlimited incoming messages

100 MB data allowance

*Overages:

$25.00 per 100 MB

$0.25 per minute

$0.25 per message sent

$25/Month which gives you the following:

$1.79/minute

$0.50/sent messages

$0.05/incoming messages

$0.25/MMS message sent

$0.25/MMS message received

100 MB data allowance

*Overages:

$25.00 per 100 MB

Pay as you go which gives you the following:

$1.79/minute

$0.50/message sent

$0.05/message received

$0.25/MMS message sent

$0.25/MMS message received

$0.002 per KB or $2.05 per MB

Personally, I think that ALL of Verizon's international plans are WAY overpriced. I always recommend for people to get a local SIM card at the location they intend to travel OR to sign up for Google's Project Fi if they have a compatible device. You will get MUCH lower international rates with either of those options than you would with anything from Verizon.