Data options for studying abroad
CHLWIL62

So I'm studying abroad in England for the next 6 months, and was wondering what the best option would be to have access to data? I won't need to call or text much, just having access to data in case I get lost would be nice. I know TravelPass is an option, but it'd get a bit pricey if I'm going to be there for 6 months... So I was wondering if there was an alternative that would work better?

0 Likes
Re: Data options for studying abroad
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Get a prepaid SIM card from the local carrier.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

CHLWIL62, we appreciate you reaching out to us to discuss your travel options. Staying connected while you’re abroad is always important and we want to ensure that you have the right plan to suit your needs. Will you have access to Wi-Fi during your trip? Are you planning to use calls, texts, and data just in case of an emergency or if you get lost? Planning to be gone for six months is quite a long time; however we want to ensure you have the best plans available. You can review all the plan options we carry for England on our Trip Planner at https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/international/

SamanthaT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

I agree with Ann, there is no roaming plan that is economical.  Your Verizon phone is unlocked, use a local SIM card.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

What phone do you have? If it is compatible with Project Fi, I would certainly consider signing up with them while abroad for such a long period. Domestic and international data rates are the same, $10/ GB. I used it a couple of years ago when my daughter was doing the same. Worked like a charm with the monthly bill normally between $28 & $40 with anywhere from 0.5 & 2 GB of data/month.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I keep forgetting about Project Fi. That's a good option especially if they want to use their US number instead of getting a local number.

If the OP goes the route of a local prepaid SIM card, here are some examples of the plans available in the UK. The currency exchange rate is about 1 English pound to 1.35 US dollars. So for example Three's one month essential £15 plan for 4 GB works out to be about $20.50 per month. Plans for phones | Unlimited data plans | Three

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
JuJuJelly

If I get a pre-paid SIM card from a local carrier, do I still need to keep the verizon line active or should I suspend the line?

0 Likes
kh-taylarie
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, Juju! I'd love to address your concerns regarding service. Please send us a Private Message to continue. *Licia

0 Likes