Re: How do the charges work?
donbikes
Enthusiast - Level 2

No need to get excited.  The "right way" for you depends on what "emergency" use you are concerned about.  If it is only for an emergency that you might get into and need to use your phone for, than Weth's method is for you.  Turn on airplane mode.

If your emergency use includes emergencies for someone else where they need to get in touch with you, then they won't be able to do so if your phone is in airplane mode unless you have a WiFi connection.  If you need to be reachable in this manner and WiFi connections are not always available, then turn mobile data off.  Do not make or answer any non-emergency calls and do not respond to any non-emergency texts.  Guard against butt dialing, butt answering, or butt texting.  As Weth said, this is not 100% foolproof, but if you need to be available for urgent or emergency calls or texts, turning mobile data off is the "right way."

Weth
Legend

I think we agree now

Personally, I do it your way so I can always receive an emergency call from home if needed. You just need to ask if the potential for a $10 charge is worth it. To me no brainer really.

0 Likes
bev99999

So you both are in agreement that I should turn mobile data off. This way I can receive incoming calls.

Mobile data is the same as cellular data, correct??

That is all there is to it??

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Yes, at a minimum you should turn cellular data off. And you can still receive a call - including those junk calls. If you answer, or if the system thinks you answered when it switches over to voice mail, or you butt dial, you will trigger a $10 TravelPass charge.

If you want 100% guarantee no charges unless you want to use phone where you don't have wifi, then you need the airplane mode process.

In either case, since you set wifi preferred when roaming, you can still use wifi calling when in range of wifi and not trigger extra charge - just make sure you see that VZW Wi-Fi

0 Likes
chamvie27

Does this apply to the iPhone 5, as well?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Knowing how the TravelPass feature is billed for each device is very important, chamvie27. I am happy to assist. The iPhone 5 is compatible with our TravelPass feature. The feature will activate whenever the device connects to an international tower and receives a call, makes a call, sends a text message, or starts to use data. Please note that the iPhone 5 is not compatible with Wi-Fi Calling. For more details about the TravelPass feature visit the link below:
https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/travelpass-faqs/

GregL_VZW

0 Likes
Sam441

So when I want to read my messages or make a call, do I turn airplane off?  And when I am finished turn airplane back on?

What happens to text messages, etc when airplane mode is on?

Is whatsapp safe to use?  Does it trigger the daily $10?

0 Likes
dbarron2

I have an iPhone 8 Plus, my wife has an iPhone 7. We have signed up for TravelPass. By enabling Airplane Mode, my calls don't go through. Do I enable WiFi Calling under settings?

0 Likes
cynthiadeyoung

I have discovered that you can only turn on WiFi calling when you are still in the U.S.   It can not be enabled if you are already outside the U.S.... so be sure you set this on your iPhone 6 or newer model BEFORE you head to your international destination!

0 Likes