How to OPT-OUT TravelPass.
YUMIZ108
Enthusiast - Level 1

I travel to Japan to visit my family once a year and have been renting a Pocket WiFi Router locally for about $40 for 2 weeks with unlimited usage.

I just saw the TravelPass $10/d info, and I don't want to use it but NOT set to Airplane Mode in order to connect to my rented WiFi router.

This plan sounds Automatically kicks in... or can I opt-out when I land in Japan?

As usual, their information for these plans are pretty confusing... Smiley Sad

In the past, I used the Global Plan, which was disaster as I didn't understand the system well, and I called to talk to Verizon Customer Service from Japan, but the wait was always extremely long AND while I was waiting for the connection AND talking to the rep, later I found about I was charge for all those minutes!!! Thus, I swore not to use their service while traveling... but utilize renting a reasonable pocket WiFi router I arrange to pick up at the airport when I arrive.

Anyway, on my next trip, I do not want this NEW Feature of TravelPass interfere my well-planned & working system!

Re: How to OPT-OUT TravelPass.
Arjay989
Enthusiast - Level 1

Did this good question ever get answered?

0 Likes
Arjay989
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for your response. I have the same question as you. I am in Paris and have telephone, SMS Aand WiFi in my apartment. I want WiFi when I go out. I wonder if I can just buy a pocket router like the one you mention .

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is definitely important to review and understand the options of your international plan before traveling. Once added to your line, TravelPass is the default option and is activated by any form of qualifying usage (oucalls, answered inbound calls, text messages, and any form of cellualer data including background). If you are not interested in using the feature while abroad, the safest recommendation I have is to remove it while on your trip so that nothing is charged to you by mistake. If you prefer to keep TravelPass on the line in case of emergencies, the feature will not activate if you leave your device in Airplane Mode. The good news is that you can still conect to Wi-Fi and hotspots even when your device is in Airplane Mode. Does this provide clarification?

ColinH_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

Ksaari

I realize this is a year old thread, but I wanted to get some clarification on how you are charged for using TravelPass.

From what it seems, you are charged for a day’s use, even when in airplane mode, and even when the phone is off.

In my case, when traveling, the TravelPass plan started at a certain time (1:30 pm) as confirmed by text from Verizon. To save my phone’s battery, and a few hours of data, I left my phone off between the hours of 1:00pm and 5:00 pm.

I assumed TravelPass would re-start at 5:00 pm and be good for 24 hours as the website appears to suggest. Not the case for me. When the phone was turned back on, or when airplane mode was turned off (tried this multiple days in a row), I received a text from Verizon stating my 24 hr TravelPass session had started at 1:30 pm, while the phone had been off or in airplane mode.

Any insight into why you are charged while the phone is off? Not sure I understand why by just reading the terms and conditions on Verizon’s site. Because of this, it will actually cost me an extra 2-3 days of international charges over the period of a week.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good afternoon, Ksaari. I understand your confusion and I'll be happy to help with your Travel Pass questions. The session that started at 1:30 pm would end at 1:29 pm the following day. Here is a link to our FAQs page for Travel Pass. http://spr.ly/6606ES5nK If your device was in Airplane mode, it shouldn't get any signal (no Wi-Fi or Verizon data). Does your device have any liquid or physical damage?

VanetrisC_VZW

0 Likes