How to configure phone line for no international roaming of any sort
vzwarlington
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a dual-SIM iPhone.  I will have another company's physical SIM plus a VZW eSIM.

While traveling outside USA, I need to use an EU SIM from country #1 while visiting country #2.  That means I have to have 'data roaming' enabled in the phone.

Then I also need to have my VZW phone line active as a secondary line (phone will be using the EU SIM's data service).  I do not want my VZW line to do any cellular roaming at all, I want it to behave like it has no cellular service...that means I can use it with Wi-Fi calling, but when only on the EU SIM's data, no VZW service.  This will meet my communications needs and avoid all roaming charges.

How can I configure my phone line to have international roaming disabled?  (Not acceptable to turn off data roaming on the phone, it has to be in the line's configuration.)

On Verizon's web page, after I log into my account, on my plan page I see my line has travelpass and international PAYG.  Other lines on my plan show "no plan" for international service.

A help page I'm seeing at VZW says that if you have no plan, you default to PAYG...but how does that relate to the lines that have no plan showing? (at verizonwireless.com, /solutions-and-services/international-travel/).  Is there a way to have no international roaming service?

Labels (1)
Re: How to configure phone line for no international roaming of any sort
vzwarlington
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh, and forgot to say, the primary reason for leaving the VZW phone line enabled but with no cellular service is to retain the VZW phone number attached to the iMessage service.

0 Likes
pdavis67

I have the same question. Did you get this figured out? If so, I would like to know what you did. Thanks!

0 Likes
vzwarlington
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had to call the customer service line, and ask them to set the phone for no international roaming at all.  Then, while traveling, I set the phone to no data roaming.

At times, the phone showed "VZW via mobile data" through the other line (that's what I wanted) but other times showed one of the local carrier's names.

So I'm not sure the line was really properly configured.  But since I didn't send any SMS messages or make or receive any calls except when on hotel wifi, I did not incur any roaming charges from Verizon.

Sorry I can't be more descriptive of exactly how to set this up "correctly".

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

vzwarlington, we would be happy to help you with disabling any Roaming features within your device settings. What is the make/model of your device?    EricaG_VZW

0 Likes
vzwarlington
Enthusiast - Level 3

Apple iPhone Xs

If I have international roaming disabled on my line, what is supposed to show up in the mobile service provider status area?  Should it show "No service", or should it show one of your roaming partners (even though I have no roaming)?

If it shows a service partner, what happens if I try to send SMS or make a call, or someone sends one to me/calls my line?  With roaming disabled, I'd expect outbound SMS/calls to fail, and inbound SMS to remain pending in the system (like when I'm in airplane mode), and inbound calls to go to voicemail.

What I want is for my line to be configured in a way to always show "No service" when outside of USA service areas.  That will enable the phone to use mobile data from the other SIM in the same way that I can use WiFi for VZW Wi-Fi callling/SMS.

How can I do this configuration through self-service on the VZW web site for my account/line?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out to us with this question, vzwarlington. The best method to achieve this would be activating Airplane Mode and turning your Cellular Data off when traveling. CecileC_VZW

0 Likes
vzwarlington
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm sorry CecileC_VZW, but you haven't met my requirements as stated above.

• Non-verizon cellular line must be fully functional (example: European pay-as-you-go SIM)
  • Verizon cellular line must not roam to any international provider, and instead should behave as if it has no cellular service, thus using either VZW Wi-Fi calling over a true wi-fi connection, or  over cellular data on the other SIM's data service.  I had this happen once while traveling last month, see attached photo
  • Notice "VZW using Cellular Data"Notice "VZW using Cellular Data"
  • Verizon cellular line needs to remain enabled so that iMessage account is still linked to VZW phone number
chrisjs
Enthusiast - Level 1

Any luck figuring out how to make this work? I'm trying to do something similar and I've noticed even with data set to use the other line, TravelPass still manages to activate.

I left feature request feedback for Apple requesting that roaming can be turned on and off for each line independently. Maybe if we get enough others requesting this we can get their attention.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is important to have International usage working the way that you want it to chrisjs. What is the make and model of your device?

RosanneM_VZW

0 Likes