International Day Passes Initiated by Outside Texts/Calls to Me.
HMWILL2

I recently traveled internationally and did not want to have the international day pass service.  I had rented a hot spot which would give me unlimited data, which I knew I'd need.   

Whenever I RECEIVED a text message or call, the international pass was automatically triggered.  Is there any way to temporarily block messages and incoming calls so that I don't have to pay for a daily pass caused by a third party trying to contact me.  I could understand it triggering if I initiated the conversation, but this is really not cool - especially since both the calls and messages were usually spam.  GRRR.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: International Day Passes Initiated by Outside Texts/Calls to Me.
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@HMWILL2 wrote:

I recently traveled internationally and did not want to have the international day pass service.  I had rented a hot spot which would give me unlimited data, which I knew I'd need.   

Whenever I RECEIVED a text message or call, the international pass was automatically triggered.  Is there any way to temporarily block messages and incoming calls so that I don't have to pay for a daily pass caused by a third party trying to contact me.  I could understand it triggering if I initiated the conversation, but this is really not cool - especially since both the calls and messages were usually spam.  GRRR.

Couldn't you disable/remove the TravelPass option prior to travelling?  Otherwise, you'd have to put your device in airplane mode or turn off cell service/data to stop those incoming calls/texts that activate the TravelPass session/charge.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning! To avoid receiving text or calls while traveling, please turn on airplane mode on your device. Please keep us posted.

~Maria Elena

0 Likes
Kilograham
Enthusiast - Level 1

If this is true, this is the flaw of the travel pass.  If you have Travel Pass enabled, an incoming text messages, which it only $0.05 (right?), should not trigger a $10/day pass.  

My travel pass may have been initiated on my phone from an incoming SMS text because of this (Verizon could not tell me what triggered it.  I had a eSIM properly configured for data while I was traveling.)

With two-factor-authorization often coming via SMS text, the need for incoming SMS is more important than ever, so turning off texts may not be a good option for a large percentage of people. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Kilograham, thank you so much for reaching out. TravelPass is a nice feature to have on the account while you are traveling. TravelPass is only triggered when you make or receive a phone call, send a text, or use data. If your device has cellular data or data roaming turned on, a TravelPass session can be started by background data, including App content refreshing (e.g. Weather Apps, Fitness trackers), syncing (e.g. email), or device or app software updates). Check out the full details here on the TravelPass FAQ https://www.verizon.com/support/travelpass-faqs/

-Kevin

0 Likes
dharmikm91
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello, if I have a travel pass on my account and I receive a text message internationally, will that activate a travel pass? Or will they charge $0.05 for that incoming text message?

On your website, it says that "You're only charged for the days that you use your device in a TravelPass country. A 24-hour TravelPass session starts automatically when you make or receive a phone call, send a text or use data."

It says a travel pass will be activated when I send a text. But it does not mention that it will be activated when I receive a text. Can you please confirm if the travel pass will be activated if I receive a text message?

Ka99jacob
Enthusiast - Level 2

So so true. Verizon needs to update the #TravelPass program to NOT trigger from an incoming sms!!! Get with the times Big Red

0 Likes
Ka99jacob
Enthusiast - Level 2

Kevin please confirm an incoming sms eg 2fa code or spam does NOT trigger a TravelPass session.  This is GREAT news if so.

0 Likes
Ka99jacob
Enthusiast - Level 2

@dharmikm91 was @Kilograham was anyone able to confirm? In the past I know it triggered.

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes