International Travel
Squiggs1989

I took a trip from the US to Paris then to Portugal over the weekend. I signed up for travel pass and was using the Samsung S22 Ultra I received within the last month.

When I got to Paris I got a text message from Verizon saying my int. Data plan started and when it would end the next day; however, I couldn't use the internet, text, or call. No service. It was a layover flight so no problem (keep in mind a fellow traveler had no problem with their phone this whole time)

When we got to Portugal the other passenger got the text saying it started, I never saw a text. The three days I was In Portugal I could not call, text, or use the data to navigate the outskirts of Lisbon. I couldn't leave the other member of my party or stray to far because I had no way of contacting them.  I chatted with Verizon every night we. ...

1. Reset the network settings

2. Turned phone off and on

3. Made sure roaming was on

4. Changed out of my grandfathered plan to another plan (verizon rep conveniently changed the other lines to the higher plan at the same time which I went back and fixed. I would not have enjoyed that bill)

5. Finally we got to the fourth step. I had to individually choose the network in portugal instead of letting my phone choose for me. I did this with a tech on the line and tada I had service. We closed the chat and shortly after connecting to service in portugal my sim card is not registered. I tried all three networks and nothing. Did this multiple times it changed nothing. 

6. Got back on a chat and we removed the sim and reinsert. Nothing changed. 

I am going to be doing more international trips this year and I want to solve the problem before I go back again. Any ideas? I'm thoroughly frustrated. I tried to handle all this while I was oversees so I could get real time results but couldn't get it solved while I was there due to me losing wifi or falling asleep on the reps lol,

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: International Travel
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Squiggs1989, I'm so very sorry that you had these problems when traveling. We do our very best to help you when you are not using our service & are overseas. I hope that you had a nice time away despite your signal issues. You mentioned that the other phone that was with you did not have a problem at all & I can certainly understand your frustration. Regrettably, we are not able to say why one phone worked better than the other. Every phone works differently, has different apps that are on the phone, users use it differently & there are other factors that contribute to why we can't compare. Before you leave the country, we always highly suggest to make sure you have the most up to date software on your phone & you have a plan that will work best for your needs. Other than that, there isn't too much else that needs to be done. Please know that you can available for full support 24/7 over Twitter & Facebook. So, if you run into any situations in the future, we're right there to help you! (When you post here on the forum, there is a 2-day turn-around time for us to receive this.) -Alicia

0 Likes
Squiggs1989

Understandable. My phone was updated before I left and had a plan that allowed international travel. I just want to find out what the cause was before I go back that way it can be fixed. I.e. is there a bug in the s22? Have I not had my phone long enough ? Do I need a different sim? So on. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Based on the list of steps outlined above, was Assisted Dialing ever a feature worked on?

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-211828/

-David

0 Likes