International travel and data usage
__kireta

International travel and data plans/usage is quite confusing. To clear this up, could Verizon representative please look this over and answer questions. It will help many people if these questions are answered.

On Samsung S6 there are two settings that affect cellular data:

1) Data Usage: can turn "Mobile Data" on or off

2) Mobile Networks--> Data Roaming Access--> can turn "Roaming Access" or or off

There are 4 possible combinations:

1) Mobile Data On/Roaming On

2) Mobile Data On/Roaming Off

3) Mobile Data Off/Roaming On

4) Mobile Data Off/Roaming Off

Here is my understanding and some questions:

1) Mobile Data On/Roaming On

- When on another network, roaming charges will apply. Data will flow.

- Some plans include Mexico and Canada, and on these plans there are no extra charges

- When in other places (e.g Europe), roaming charges will apply

Question: if I do not sign up for an international plan, and leave the phone on this setting, will I incur data charges?

2) Mobile Data On/Roaming Off

- Data flows only when on Verizon home network

Question: if I sign up for an international plan, I assume that roaming must be turned on for data to flow. Is that correct?

Question: If I am in Italy with a 100MB/month and 100 min/month international plan, and I want to use minimal data, can I use Roaming to toggle data flow on and off? I would set Roaming to On only when I am on Wifi.

3) Mobile Data Off/Roaming On

Question: Since "Mobile Data" is turned off, I assume that data will not flow, even though Roaming is turned on. Is that correct?

4) Mobile Data Off/Roaming Off

- No data will be used

Question: Voice calls still work?

Question: With Samsung S6, voice calls use data on CDMA network. When in a place that is on a GSM network, does a voice call still use data?

Question: If I am in Italy, and try to make a phone call back to USA, can I do so without an International Plan? If so, what are charges?

Thank you for your assistance

0 Likes
Re: International travel and data usage
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Making sure you understand your international travel and data usage options is important. Lets answer your questions. Question 1 If you do not sign up for an international plan and leave the mobile data on you will incur data charges. Question 2 if you’re in Italy with the 100 MB plan it’s recommended to turn on the roaming feature. Question 3 if mobile data is turned off data will not flow even though roaming is turned on. You can not use roaming to toggle data flow on and off. Question 4 your calls will still work with data/roaming turned off. Voice calls will not use data. Any call you make in Italy will incur a charge if you’re not on an international plan even if you’re calling back to the U.S.

JoelD_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
MARDIS16

I am 68 years old and need some help. I have an apple phone, model 5S.  I am going to Aruba. There is free wifi in the hotel. Is there a charge if I call another person staying in my hotel, or send them a text message, or if I play the solitaire game on my cell phone?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
0 Likes